Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Book Spotlight: A Feast for Crows

Weather worn but well loved. 


I always find it easier to write when I am currently reading a book. I'll try to make it a point to read a book moving forward-and of course to share my reading experiences with you guys and just like one of my favorite Game of Thrones characters said: "A mind needs books like a sword a whetstone". 

My mom would always tell the story of how a 9 year old me, asked for books for one Christmas. I got from 'Santa' The Little Women and Daddy-long-legs. 

I have always been fond of reading and as a consequence have poor eyesight, although I don't know what the grade of my eyes are all I know is I sometimes miss Jeepneys since I can't read the signs. 

So despite the poor eyesight I still love to read and my eyesight would most probably become worse but that won't stop me from reading more and more books!

So I just finished with A Feast for Crows which is Book 4 of 'A Song of Fire and Ice' by George R. R. Martin. I'm already done with the first three books- A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords.  I did get hooked into reading the books due to the largely popular series- Game of Thrones and I also got my office mates hooked with the series :) 


Going back to Book Spotlight since we are talking about the 4th book in the series. A Feast for Crows actually started pretty slow and a lot of GoT (Game of Thrones) fans would agree also. The pace of the first few chapters were pretty slow but towards the last few chapters I was screaming and throwing tantrums because reading Game of Thrones gets you to do that. While GoT gets you to feel a lot of emotions (ranging from the usual happy-sad palette to the stronger and more complex emotions) Mr. Martin can really make you feel confused a lot of times and for me the most challenging thought and realization I had while reading the books is that even the good characters in the stories, those who do what is "right" are not really guaranteed a happy ending or their heads attached to their necks but what is really disturbing is that this is also what is happening in reality. 

Unlike traditional book series where in the sequence of events follows the sequence of the books, with Game of Thrones especially the fourth book, events, plots and characters have grown so much that author George R. R. Martin decided to just tell the stories of a few characters and wait for the next book to tell the stories of the next characters rather than tell all the characters' stories but then he would have to cut the stories in half. 

Mr. Martin is kind enough to explain to his readers the plans of his narration rather than leave them to guess so that's a good  thing. 

Now I'm already starting with the fifth book- A Dance with Dragons. Once you get hooked into reading you really invest in the characters and the story. Game of Thrones is definitely more than just a story between good and evil. There are so many characters that a column of just good guys and bad guys is impossible. 

Like all good stories we should really sit back and enjoy and just let it run its course and its pace. The feelings that we have towards the book just makes the ride much more fun. 

All this writing has made me want to read now! I got about a thousand pages to go :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment