Monday, February 25, 2013

Are you following 'The Following'?



Warning: Spoilers ahead. 

Okay so I haven't been able to post anything for the past few episodes of 'The Following' It doesn't mean though that the 'poet's fire' (pun intended) has already been put out because the excitement that I feel about this new series is anything but - put out. 

Although I do have some qualms in the new series which mainly focuses on how the show portrays the FBI as incompetent if not incapable of foiling the plots of Joe Carroll's dead poet society. 

Just take note of The Following: 

I mean, why oh why would you send an FBI agent alone to protect the wife of a known Joe Carroll nut job...err..associate (who Surprise! turns out to be in the club also). This mistake of course,ultimately leads to the demise of the lone FBI agent who was sent to guard an accomplice instead of a victim. I mean didn't they have the whole cavalry when they were protecting Sarah and Claire? 

Oh yeah and we all know how that turned out. 

Sarah got all the muscles of her eyes carved out while Claire had her head almost blown off. 

I think my frustration in the portrayal of the FBI in the show is pretty clear in my examples above. 

But wait there's more...


So, they were able to capture Jordy AKA 'the village idiot' after putting a bullet through him but of course they still manage to screw this up by having no guard on him! I mean shouldn't there be like a suicide watch on him? Even if he is strapped to a hospital bed, these guys are crazy! They can and will think of ways to kill themselves which was evident in the gauze-chewing stunt that Jordy pulled which eventually choked and killed him. 

So episodes 3 and 4 were probably the weakest in the season so far, which could have explained the decline in the number of viewers during the third episode. People who have been watching the show have been posting online that like me, they were frustrated with the seeming incompetence of the FBI. As well as being unimpressed with the shows too many cliches. Which I think could be attributed to Kevin Williamson's work on Scream. 

Posts on comment boards could easily show that people are 'on the fence' when it comes to the series -it's either they love it or they hate it but the tide may have changed with episode 5 of the season which was probably the most heart racing since the first episode. 

Speaking of heat racing, over twitter a friend and I have both agreed that 'The Following' is one of those series that you cannot watch on a marathon. Why? It's because the series is definitely heart racing!  To describe the series as being a 'suspense-thriller' would be a clear understatement. When I watch an episode in the series, my palms are all sweaty and my heart is just hammering inside my chest. When the DVD of the first season comes out- it should come with a warning - Extreme suspense can lead to sweaty palms, chest pains, increased heart rate and other symptoms. 

If you are not following 'The Following' then you should. It is one of the most amazing things to happen in television yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment