Thursday, May 23, 2013

Of Concerts and Soundfests



I read this online: "People in Manila must be rich because of all the concerts happening" While this is certainly flattering I wouldn't say that it is true - at all. 

As a music lover getting to go to your favorite band's concert is the ultimate high, it is a once in a lifetime experience that shouldn't be left to the "What if's?" and "Should haves" of your life. So when does "so many artists/bands coming to your country" become a problem? Well frankly - when you can't afford to go and see them. 




I've been working for 5 years already, earning my own money and paying taxes - like any good citizen so why can't I afford tickets? Well, with car payments and still sending my younger siblings to school I'm not at liberty to attend every concert my heart oh so desires- and to think I also work part time as a freelance writer. 

So am I begging for concert tickets? No, this blog post/rant is not a cry for free tickets (although I definitely won't decline any offers) but it's more of a call to event organizers and productions - Why do you have to have all the concerts so close together? 

Don't believe me? - See below. 


Paramore - February 15, 2013 
The Script - March 31, 2013 
Slash - May 4, 2013 
Aerosmith - May 8, 2013 
Vans Summer Music Jam - May 11, 2013 
Jason Mraz - May 14, 2013 
Wanderland Music Fest - May 8, 2013 
Circuit Fest 2013 - May 25, 2013 
Deftones - May 26, 2013 
Fallout Boy - August 8, 2013 
Linkin Park - August 13, 2013 
Bazooka Rocks II - August 25, 2013 

and I didn't even mention the K-pop groups and Daniel Padilla's concert. 



While the average tickets sells P3,000-P5,000 a pop a large majority of concert goers are students who depend on Mommy and Daddy to give them their concert allowance and of course there is the employed like me who is just making ends meet. Unfortunately for the students there is no student discount when it comes to concert tickets. 

Not everyone is a rich kid who can bat their eyes at Mommy and Daddy and get instant VIP tickets. Some have to work really hard for their tickets and while there is value in working hard for something you really want, why do the concerts and music fests have to be so damn close to each other? While I am certainly not complaining for come back bands like Paramore and Fallout Boy to be on tour again - they can really ruin your finances. 

I know that local organizers don't have a say when it comes to a band's schedule but maybe music fests can have a few/couple more months in between just so people can gain back weight lost due to dieting just to save up for the tickets. 



Maybe Credit Card Companies can offer installment plans for when purchasing tickets, instead of charging it in one cut off. 

More contests and promos maybe? And I know of fingers burning from liking, RT'ng, sharing to win free tickets (ultimately reaching tweet limit) but only a few can be so lucky right? 

More discounted ticket prices on sites like Ensogo or Metrodeal would definitely help also. 

I'm not naive, I know at the end of the day it is unfortunately not about the music but it's about business and while we want everyone to get their due and to get paid maybe event organizers can look into giving back to the people who support them - think of it as your 'charity fund' or for the special connected people who get free tickets but maybe you're not a big fan of the band or your having second thoughts about going - maybe you can give the tickets to someone who really needs err wants it ? 

Just think that there is always a fangirl/fanboy out there wailing and grinding their teeth because they can't go to the concert. 

While offers for selling organs and body parts to buy concert tickets (and I have seen some) can be funny - it's still really sad at the same time. I would credit it to the Filipino's talent for making fun out of miserable situations. 

i literally let out an LOL when I saw a tweet to one of the music fest accounts, it went like this: 

"Pag mamatay na po ba - may discount?" 
(If I'm already dying - can I have a discount?) 

To which the reply was: "Hindi" (No). 

There have even been dares of swallowing shards of glass if they win in a contest (kain bubog). 



Another LOL moment was reading a plan to bring a truck load of senior citizens so they can avail of the accumulated discounts - you can't do that by the way. 

While I do not wish the ire or ill will of concert event organizers upon me (Peace! I love you guys!) This is just a thought, an opinion of a music lover and I know that you guys already get a lot - mine is just really, really long. 

At the end of the day it's just me sharing my thoughts out there - love it or hate it - I'm just being honest, you may take it with a grain salt, roll your eyes at it or maybe consider some of my suggestions it doesn't matter - it's all up to you guys. 

I'll just be happy if I had your attention until now and thanks for indulging my rants on concerts and music fests. Hopefully 2014 will be kinder to our health and wallets. Not wishing for less concerts and music fests, just wishing for enough space to save up. :P 

4 comments:

  1. What else can I say?
    It's more of like a disease! Foreign Artist who came here cant afford to share what they've experienced. Kudos for the organizers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Kudos for being able to bring a lot of foreign acts over here. Pero wag naman masyado malapit sa isa't-isa. Hehe :P Hahah at tama ka dyan - it's a disease!

      Delete
  2. this were all true, I dont get the point of having near dates of concerts... isnt that logical to think that if you push a date in a certain month that has 5-6 concerts already, youre in a great risk of not solding it out. (uhhhmmm but maybe if youre bringing an A+ artist like FOB, Maroon5......etc) but still, Is it a battle bet. concert organizers/producers about "survival of the one who brings more popular artist"? I dont get the point... HAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there really is a business side to it, no matter how we look at it. I wish concert organizers/producers all the success but maybe they should also think about the budget of the people :P

      Delete