Thursday, June 26, 2014

Thowback Photography (Self-check)

Days of skateboarding. Focus is on the background. 

I've been shooting for quite some time.  As a photojournalist of our College School Paper (where Ica and I met by the way), I've also always been an enthusiast of film SLR and of course now a digital photographer.  

As I was shooting back then I didn't understand how camera gets proper exposure, and how to control the camera prior to taking the shot.  I was naive and stupid back then, my thoughts were: "As long as I'm there, camera and film in tow I'll be able to take good pictures." - This maybe true in some cases if I rely on A Mode or full-automatic settings.


5-0 from the right. I should've captured when he mounted the rail.

I regret not researching, testing and asking about (this was in the 90's internet was still slow and connection was unstable).  I hate the fact that I have no one else to ask when it comes to photography (school).  Looking back I'm ashamed of my prints as it doesn't have any thought or any hint of creativity.  It's just a snapshot nothing else. 











Around 2009 was the first taste of digital photography, there was this curious itch that came about.  I wanted to know more, understand how to control. 

The itch became a thirst that needed to be quenched, thus the acquisition of my own Canon 500d (July 2010). If it weren't for affordable entry level DSLRs and rich resource all over the internet, everything will be the same.  I'd still be the same snap shooter.


As I compare my prints to what I have shot lately, I have come far but not far enough. I just wish that I have more projects, time and budget to enroll formal education in the art of photography. 



Greenfield Music Festival - November 15, 2013.






No comments:

Post a Comment