Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Typecast: Word Sits Heavy EP Review




I would say that I am both lucky and happy when I was one of ten winners of Typecast's "Word Sits Heavy" EP from Fresh Filter on Jam 88.3, which makes writing this EP Review easier and faster since the said EP was already part of my to-review list anyway. 

But before I go ahead with the review let me just go out and say that I was sad when I found out that drummer Melvin Macatiag has parted ways with the band. Paul and I had the pleasure of meeting him because of our following Save Me Hollywood. 

He always had a ready smile and greeting whenever he would see us. 

This of course is not a "chismis column" and so I won't be dwelling into the reason for the parting of ways. At the end of the day (from my perspective at least) - it's all about the music. 

Knowing that Melvin and Typecast will be continuing to contribute to OPM will be good enough for me. 

Word Sits Heavy is Typecast's newest release since the 2011 How Your Influence Betrays You and is composed of four tracks. 


Word Sits Heavy 
Gasoline 
For Your Sake 
Ceiling 

My favorite song off the EP, would have to be the carrier single Gasoline, when I listen to it, I can't help but stomp my feet to the beat, do head banging motions which eventually escalates to awkward dancing - damn the weird stares I get. Did I mention this awkward dancing happens in public places? 

Gasoline is the anthem of a wild night, images of driving fast in one's car in the highway comes to mind while listening to the well written angsty song and the marriage of the rich bass and intricate guitars is the cherry on top of this ice cream. 

I can't wait to watch them perform this live, that's going to be one mean mosh pit.  




Can I also just mention that I love the art of the EP! I was just surprised when I synced the CD in my iTunes it didn't include the Cover Art and I'm very particular about that :p

So going back....

My second favorite song from the EP is Ceiling which is reminiscent of the band's trademark emo sound.  It still has an upbeat tempo but Steve Badiola's smooth vocals bring all the emotion to the song. It's one of those songs that makes mush out of your heart. I love how the song ends with the lingering keys until there is nothing left. 

Word Sits Heavy as an EP makes me happy that established OPM artists are continuing to make music all of us can enjoy and be proud of and the fact that radio stations like Jam 88.3 and radio shows like Fresh Filter are putting these songs on the radio waves gives me hope that there are other comrades out there in the battle to support OPM. You should join in too! 

In the mean time I think I'll go back to awkward dancing to Gasoline. 

You can download Typecast's Word Sits Heavy on iTunes
Fresh Filter is on at Jam 88.3 on Wednesdays from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM and features OPM songs (Filipino Independent Music). 

UPDATE! 

Just had my Word Sits Heavy signed by the band when I saw them perform during Talata's MV and EP launch ^_^ 




No comments:

Post a Comment