Sunday, September 7, 2014

What The Eraserheads' New Songs Mean in today's Music Industry





When The Eraserheads defined the alternative scene back in the early 90's I was too young to appreciate their music but I grew up surrounded by older cousins who listened to them. So their music was always playing in the background as a much younger me pretended to be Sailor Moon battling evil using a pink wand with bejeweled hearts and wings.

Years later when I was in College an was surrounded with my "Senpais" (Upperclassmen/Predecessors) AKA much older colleagues- Paul included in the College publication (school newspaper) they would always be playing their music in the office (Gin Blossoms, Mr. Big, Stone Temple Pilots, Slipknot) and of course The Eraserheads were never far behind, especially with the release of the Ultraelectro Magnetic Pop tribute album which of course also featured OPM's finest covering Eraserheads hits. The tribute album served as a bridge for me to admire OPM artists at that time, such as Imago, Barbie Almalbis, Kitchie Nadal, Sugarfree, 6 Cycle Mind, and of course to renew my admiration for The Eraserheads as well. 

Now, six years later after graduating College and after beginning  this crusade of mine of writing about OPM (started about a year ago) The Eraserheads are once again, shaking the OPM scene by coming out with two brand new songs over a decade after their last single! was released in such an unconventional way! -releasing a CD with the two songs, in the September issue of Esquire Philippines magazine. 

The band could have made much more money if the songs were release let's say through a telco company and with the many music apps out there today, releasing the two songs exclusively through an app would have been a gold mine. I bet that the two new songs being released in a "Magasin" (pun intended) was a punch to the gut for the Telco giants, but for them it wasn't about the money, it was about the music. 

"Looking for Ligaya in London" - Esquire Philippines September 2014
Photo by Jake Verzosa


In case you didn't know the two songs were released without the backing of any record label, as heard on the Jam 88.3 guesting of Esquire Editor-in-chief Erwin Romulo where the two songs were first heard. It was just something that they wanted to do, they were practically giving the song away, like a proverbial high five to the fans and supporters. 

So now that The Eraserheads have answered the question: What would they sound like in 2014? How does all of this fall in today's OPM scene? 

Are the songs "Sabado" and "1995" only for their old fans - you know those who have been with them all those years ago, who like them now have children and families of their own? 

How does the two songs and the fact that an OPM great such as them is still making music play into the new generation of OPM listeners who have Social Media and music sharing sites  at the tips of their fingertips? 

Looking through my timeline at any time of the day you will easily find the younger generation of music lovers proclaiming their love and affection for foreign acts and artists. I have no qualms about these kids since I know most of them and I'm very happy to say that they also show the same passion and fervor for local acts. 

What gets me and it's gets me real bad is the mentality of some kids who think that just because it's OPM it's "baduy". Whenever I encounter people like this, I want to strangle them. I've been to foreign concerts with OPM bands as the opening acts and I've heard people shouting things like: 

"We didn't come here to see you!" 
"Get off the stage! We want to see (name of Foreign band) 

Whenever I encounter people like that I want to dump beer on their heads! (much to Paul's dismay coz he says it's his beer) I mean seriously show some respect man! 

Which brings us back to the Eheads surprising and teasing come back (of sorts). 


Down Abbey Road: Probably the only band I would have no qualms with, recreating this shot.
Esquire Philippines September 2014
Photo by Jake Verzosa


When the ball was dropped that the Eraserheads would be releasing two new songs, the CD to be placed within the pages of the September issue of Esquire Philippines magazine, the internet exploded with excitement and anticipation but looking at the timelines and the feeds (from what I could see at least) it was the older generation who were fangirling over the news. 

For the younger generation it hardly made a blip on their radar and trust me when these kids get excited they get excited. I know I can't blame them for not going over the moon about a band who was probably at the prime of their career when these current teens were still in diapers. 

There is a beauty in rediscovering a classic and a legend and if there was going to be an OPM band deserving of these titles it would definitely be The Eraserheads. 

Can you blame me for wanting more out of our younger generation? It's always a frustration for me to see kids going head over heels for a foreign band but completely shutting themselves off to OPM. Kids, we have a very rich OPM scene out there; it is not entirely made up of divas and matinee idols and celebrities trying out their hand in a singing career despite obviously not having the talent for it and just recording revivals over and over again. 

Maybe this unprecedented surprise of The Eraserheads is a sign for you to educate yourself and update your playlist with probably one of the most influential Filipino Alternative bands of all time.

My copy of the sought after magazine and CD.
Photo by Paul Cheng 


When the September issue of Esquire hit the stands it was like the search for the Golden Ticket in Willy Wonka chocolate bars, only we weren't even looking for golden tickets but those Wonka bars! I got a copy a day after it's release and after having to put my name on two reservation lists and I guess I it may be funny to think that I haven't finished reading the feature on the Eheads in the magazine but I've already finished this piece of mine and after reading the feature on the Eheads I'd probably get more feels and would be inspired to write more.  

I guess I would like to end this by calling out to all the older generation out there fangirling over the new songs, be like my older cousins and colleagues don't be afraid to share their music and if you can educate them on what a rich OPM scene we have - it's just a matter of them getting off their "I only listen to Foreign Bands, OPM sucks" horse. 

There really is more to The Eraserheads releasing two new songs. They may not be coming out with a new album or going on a concert but their come back is a flame in the dark. OPM is alive, it is a fragile candle, and it's up to us if the light will go out or if it will grow to a roaring flame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment