Sunday, November 9, 2014

Big Hero 6 Movie Review


Would have come out with this movie review sooner but have been so tired from work lately, I immediately hit the sack after coming home from work. 

When anticipation for Disney's Big Hero 6 started appearing on different social media sites, my interest was immediately caught and Big Hero 6 became part of my to-watch movies list. I mean how can I resist the Japanese themes and influences and the super Kawaii Baymax? 

A few weeks before the film was set to be released, news that one of my favorite bands, Fall Out Boy will have a song in the movie had me even more excited, especially when I got to hear the song "Immortals" which is just awesome! I was so happy when the song played in the movie. I had to stop myself from getting up and dancing! 

Recently images for the movie's OST came out - look at that super cute Vinyl! Got to have it! 

There's just too much cuteness overload in this movie. 





As the weekend approached, the question actually came, where we going to watch Interstellar or Big Hero 6 (well this review makes the answer obvious doesn't it?) just confirming that there was that decision that had to be made. 

I asked fellow bloggers who have already seen both which movie to watch first and the recommendation was for the huggable robot (obviously) there were other factors that helped me decide and those were well, Interstellar was a 3 hour long movie and it was going to be one of those movies that would require you to have your thinking cap on and after a week of hard work, it would be nice to just relax for the weekend. Existential questions and scientific theories can wait as we decided to visit San Fransokyo instead of Christopher Nolan's universe. 


San Fransokyo - hmmm well honestly I wasn't too happy (irked actually) when I first saw that Big Hero 6 would be set in the fictional city of "San Fransokyo" Yes - San Franciso and Tokyo combined. 



I've always been fascinated by anything Japanese and the very thought of it's capital being joined or combined in any way or form was simply inconceivable for me. (Yes I have a flare for the dramatics-Not that I have anything against San Francisco because I don't) 

When I actually saw everything on screen San Fransokyo was really beautiful (even if I still have a hard time saying it). The streets with the Amtrack trains lined up with Sakura trees also the way San Francisco streets tend to go uphill and downhill were beautifully captured. Even the Golden Gate Bridge got an Asian upgrade. Paul said that having that kind of setting (inspired from two cities instead of one) gave the movie something new and unique. 

Now the setting of the movie is one of my favorite things about it! Someone get me one of those Greetings from San Fransokyo postcard! 



Even if Paul and I saw the movie at last full show (9:30 PM on a Saturday) the movie house was filled! And a lot of it's viewers were actually kids who were already way past their bed time but you could hear their adorable voices laughing with the rest of the audience and I even remember hearing one cute voice in the crowd give Baymax a loud Hello. 

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard and cried so hard (lots of feels in the movie, just thinking about it threatens to unleash a dam of tears) when I saw the movie but there I was crying and laughing without a care. 

For this of you who didn't know Big Hero 6 is actually a Marvel comic series an obscure one at that- (Sunfire and the Silver Samurai are original members of the group) but it seems that Disney and Marvel have been making a gold mine out of their obscure and not-so-popular titles- remember Guardians of the Galaxy? 

What Disney does and they are damn good at it is bringing heart and good old family values to these titles. They make the movie for everyone to enjoy. I mean we've all seen the other Marvel movies and we've seen super heroes kick ass but seeing a group of kids (with the help of science and technology) clumsily kick ass is both hilarious and refreshing at the same time. 

There is a lot of heart tugging and funny bone tickling throughout the movie that both the kids and the adults would enjoy. My cousins are even taking my nieces to see the movie a second time (we would have joined them if not for events we already have scheduled) but that just says a lot of how much people love Baymax and the movie (both kids and adults apparently). 

I love how the film has values which teaches the kids too, we see Hiro make a selfless sacrifice which cements his role as a true hero and one that kids can look up to and I just love that. I love how the movie says away from violence (it is Disney) but there was no need to sacrifice for any exciting moments. 



A movie you shouldn't miss in the cinemas and you should make part of your DVD collection. Big Hero 6 will have you laughing and crying and you'll definitely agree that you have been satisfied with your care. 



No comments:

Post a Comment