Monday, December 1, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling Book Review



I have to admit that the only reason that "The Cuckoo's Calling" made it in range of my to-read radar list when the internet exploded that Robert Galbraith is actually celebrated author J.K. Rowling, under a pseudonym. 

I grew up reading and watching The Harry Potter books and movies, I remember as a kid, there was one Christmas where in I received a lot of Harry Potter stuff and that made me and my sisters very happy. 

The Harry Potter franchise also has a special place in the love story that is Paul and Ica, it goes something like this: When we were still in College and in that "teasing" stage I was reading The Half-Blood Prince, Paul along with a now long time friend of ours asked to borrow the book, they put in a piece of paper with something that they had written on it. Curious, I opened the page to where the piece of paper was and when I pulled it out this was what was written in Paul's hand writing. 

Snape kills Dumbledore. 
Dapat si Malfoy pero hindi niya kaya. 
(Should have been Malfoy but he couldn't do it) 

I was so mortified to have the book spoiled big time! Don't worry I have surely been able to get back at Paul one way or another in our 9 year (and counting) relationship :p 

So going back to The Cuckoo's Calling...

It was definitely on my to-read list since I am a fan of Rowling and it was with much high expectation that I started to read the book. The Cuckoo's Calling is a good old detective kind of story, where in Private Investigator Cormoran Strike is asked to look into the apparent suicide of super model Lula Landry. For me, the charm of the story comes with Strike as being your un-traditional hero. He is a war veteran, amputee, who is as big as a bear (an exaggeration, of course, but the book describes him as huge) he has a hairy belly and "pube" like hair. So, now he is not your typical good looking, lithe detective with complete extremities but rather a realistic hero who can easily be your uncle or crazy downstairs neighbor. 

Aside from the hero's unconventional appearance and description he also has a dark and queer upbringing which makes for an interesting background story, although it's not too dark and queer that it's impossible but you can say that it could happen and that makes it even more interesting. 

The story is not only told through the perspective of huge bear-like detective Cormoran Strike but it also changes views and perspectives and is told through Robin, the temporary Secretary who is more than just a pretty face and who could more than just make you a cup of coffee. She's actually more Watson to Holmes and more of a Robin to Batman, hence the fitting name. 

The Cuckoo's Calling moves in a fast pace, littered with small clues here and there which will keep you on your toes and will keep you guessing who the culprit is. 

Like classic Rowling, everything falls to place and is explained in the end which will give you that Clarity you have been looking for. Definitely a recommended title, I'm glad to know that Rowling has been reported as saying that there will be more adventures for Detective Strike in the future! Will definitely be looking out for that one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment