Monday, March 30, 2015

Insurgent Book Review


I haven't done a book review in a long time because I haven't finished a book in a long time too and I think that's because I've made the mistake of reading "book turned movies" after seeing the movie. I say that it was a mistake because after seeing the movie and knowing what will happen next, it was hard for me to turn on the next page since I already knew what was going to happen. Case in point Mazerunner and The Book Thief. Although I had no trouble finishing Nicholas Sparks' A Walk To Remember,bebenta if it was a watch-movie-read-book-afterward arrangement. I guess there's an exception for every rule but one thing is definitely for certain: As much as possible, if you really can; read the book first. Which is why I really made it a point to finish the book before watching Insurgent and I have to say that it was a wise decision indeed. 

While reading the book, I thought that it was more exciting and interesting than it's predecessor Divergent and this made me anticipate watching the movie. I still had about 150 pages left to read in the book when I saw the movie. I'm not the type who goes crazy over tiny details being changed from book to movie. I always look at them as two different works; from a writer and a script writer's perspective I understand that not all that is written on paper can be translated on to the screen. 

Given that I would have to say that it is in my opinion that Insurgent is one of those books that is better as a movie. Why is that? Well it's because of the many action scenes and sequences in the story. Just like in a manga where big fights can be more appreciated (well at least in my opinion) as an animated episode rather than reading it. The same goes for Insurgent's gun blazing, punches flying, action filled scenes. You'd be disappointed  if you're looking for prose in Insurgent since it is written in a straight forward perspective of a 16 year old in a dystopian  future. It lacks and and all beautiful words that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. It is straight, concise and to the point. 

Unlike Divergent which only gives the reader a look into the Abegnation and Dauntless factions, Insurgent gives us a sneak peak into the other factions Amity, Candor and even a benign look at Erudite. Yes, not all Erudite are calculating and cold blooded like Jennine. This is something that they failed to portray in the movie though. 

I believe that the movie was able to conveniently cut out scenes and put everything together in a fast paced adventure. Admittedly the ending was a big different from the book, which leaves you hanging and you just know that when you pick up book 3 - Allegiant you would know that it picks right up on the action which left you in a big cliff hanger in Insurgent. 

One thing that the movie failed to show though was why the movie/book was called Insurgent in the first place - this was beautifully explained in the book though. 

You're not really missing much if you don't read Insurgent, it's not exactly a literal masterpiece that will be discussed in English Class in future generations but if you're a book worm/movie buff like me then you wouldn't be too disappointed with it. The action scenes and complications will keep you gripping on the book to the next page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment