Monday, April 27, 2015

Paper Towns Book Review


"Paper Towns" was my first John Green book. I didn't join the bandwagon when "The Fault In Our Stars" came out; until now, I have yet to read the book or see the movie. So I really did not know what to expect. Was John Green another Nicholas Sparks? I'm not going to go on and compare the two authors but one thing is for sure; I read through Paper Towns like the book is on fire. I loved the non-traditional characters, I loved how the novel was written in such a smart and witty way that I was chuckling to myself as I was going through the pages; because the lines were just so funny and a funny smart kind of way. :)  

It was actually the trailer of Paper Towns that got me to start reading the book. I was actually expecting a typical love story when I saw the trailer but I was really surprised as to how it really wasn't your typical love story at all! 

Paper Towns is a contemporary coming-of-age story with unique characters, so real they can actually be someone you know. Instead of a "damsel in distress/heroine" "looking for love" we have Margo Roth Spiegelman, a free spirited teen who takes revenge on a cheating boyfriend, has a wide collection of records which even her best friends don't know about, oh and she likes running away from home. 

Then we have our protagonist Quentin "Q" Jacobsen whose voice and thoughts narrates the story for us. Unlike your typical hero "Q" is a geek and a nerd who loves playing video games on his free time, he studies for tests and does his homework. I love how the story allows the characters to  grow from their own shells and find the courage that even they did not know existed within themselves. 

Shout out to Q's friends Ben and 'Radar' who bring in more to the story. Anybody would be lucky to have friends like them :) 




The night before Margo runs away from home, she enlists the help of Q to get revenge on people who she felt have wronged her. During this "mission" Q's feelings for Margo are fully realized. (he has had feelings for her since they were little). The next morning when Margo's disappearance has become official, Q realizes that Margo has left clues for him to find her. Q begins an obsessive search to find Margo with the help of his friends Radar and Ben. 

Paper Towns deals with themes of growing up and appearance versus reality. In a high school setting of the beautiful and popular kids and the geeks and the nerds in the school band and of concerns like graduation and prom, I'm glad to see deeper thoughts and themes being explored. 

A great book and a great reading experience - looking forward to when the movie comes out :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment