Thursday, September 17, 2015

Witness the Majesty and Wrath of "Everest"


Whenever I see news about people reaching the top of Mt. Everest I'm like "Wow they made it to Everest!" But after watching EVEREST I have a renewed respect for these inhuman athletes who possess strong will and spirits. 

Based on the tragic events of May 10, 1996 EVEREST follows the story of two groups of climbers led by Rob Hall (Jason Clarke) and Scott Fischer (Jake Gyllenhaal) as they make their final ascent to the summit of Mt. Everest and being hit by one of the worse snowstorms mankind has ever known. 

I really enjoyed how the movie made you admire the climbers for their courage and per perseverance to reach (literally) the highest goal possible. 


I have never been keen on outdoor activities (I would rather be wrapped in a blanket, reading a book or watching T.V.) so I don't really "get" climbing mountains, (even if I live on one) but after seeing the movie which was well made-it was shot on location in Nepal and other sites showcasing majestic landscapes and breath taking scenes; I now have an inkling as to why people climb mountains. 

As Jake Gyllenhall said in an interview " I think the simple idea of climbing Mount Everest is exciting. But it’s each person’s reasoning for doing it that is truly fascinating. Everest begs the questions inside all of us: What do we want to accomplish in our lives? What gives our lives meaning? This mountain, literally or figuratively, asks that question to everyone. It’s a metaphor for so many things, and it is Mother Nature humbling us.”



I was just 9 years old when the events on which the movie was based were taking place; which is why I wasn't really aware about them but seeing the movie & the events unfold really left a bitter sweet feeling in my heart. The movies' events still linger in my mind, days after seeing the film. 

The film's strong cast of actors and actresses (kudos to Keira Knightley for that tear-jerking scene!) delivered impressive performances which left me wiping away tears. 

I commend Director Baltasar Kormakur for making a point to re-create actual photos from the events on which the film was based on. I feel that the intention for the audience was to feel that these are actual people who lived and had loved ones and not simply characters created for a movie, was really accomplished. 


I did not know the story as it was unfolding in 1996 but I'm glad that I got to know it through Everest, it gave me a glimpse into the real strength and courage of the human spirit. 

You will enjoy the film whether you climb mountains or not, Everest will keep you at the edge of your seat, you will admire the beauty of nature & will be humbled by it's wrath. You will cry & your heart will break and you will witness a miracle. 

Everest  is now showing in cinemas and is distributed by United International Pictures through Columbia Pictures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment