Sunday, May 8, 2016

Movie Review: The Angry Birds Movie


When I first saw the trailer of "The Angry Birds" Movie, I was unimpressed, it wasn't funny (at all) and since I've never played the game and in effect I wasn't into the whole "craze" when it was popular back in 2011. So the film-was really not on my to-watch list. So imagine my surprise when I found myself laughing and crying at the film and at the same time, becoming emotionally invested with the characters. 

The story opens on a beautiful island of flightless birds, where we meet Red (Jason Sudekis) a bird with some anger management issues, the quick-talking and speedy Chuck (Josh Gad) and the volatile Bomb (Danny Mc Bride) are outsiders in their island but things fall on their feathery shoulders when a boat of green pigs show up. While the rest of the island's residents are fawning over the visitors, the unlikely trio take it upon themselves to see what the pigs are really up to. 


A fast paced comedy filled with laughs and a lot of pop-culture references Hamstagram, HAMlet, Daft Pig, John Hamm and even a take on my favorite scene from X-Men: Days of Future Past scene :p lots of laughs for the adults and of course the children would surely laugh at the classic comedy. The film culminates in a climactic battle that is very reminiscent of the game (I've never played of but I have a good idea how it goes). I'm glad that the writers worked it up so that you can almost feel like you're playing the game! 

The story incorporates some emotional cues, so you would really understand what the birds are so angry about and trust me-you'd be angry too. 

7 out of 10 - The Angry Birds is the comedy both kids and adults would enjoy. Just ask the middle aged guy behind us in the cinema who was not laughing but howling in laughter. The animation is beautiful and you have to commend the performances of Jason Sudekis, Josh Gad and a special nod to Game of Thrones' Peter Dinklage. 

I brought two of my nephews along with me to the red carpet screening and they loved the movie! I was also thrilled when I saw a little girl get up from her seat and dance during the end credits of the film. I think that's always a good thing. 


(Opening across the Philippines on May 11, 2016, “Angry Birds” is distributed by Columbia Pictures, local office of Sony Pictures Releasing International.)

No comments:

Post a Comment