Sunday, May 15, 2016

Music: The "Reese Lansangan" Effect

Reese Lansangan at Satchmi's Vinyl Day 


"The Beat of my own drum" the statement on singer-song writer Reese Lansangan's high slit dress could not ring any more true. With her famously dyed locks in two buns and wearing pink round frame glasses (very John Lennon if you ask me) she serenaded an eager crowd of fans during Satchmi's Vinyl Day last  April 30. After her set, a throng of her fans waited for her by the back stage area to take photos with their idol. The ever kind and gracious Reese obliged with selfies to a number of squealing College aged girls. We had to wait for a while (I didn't mind) before we could have our five minute interview.

After the dust settled, Reese and I had a short chat and we caught up with the rising "Grammar Nazi" singer and found out what she's been up to and what's coming in her colorful career.

You were recently on a trip to Japan and your album "Arigato Internet" was on a mini launch. So can you tell us what was that like?

Reese: Actually Pre-Launch palang siya. Para siyang mini-tour. An Indie Record label, the ones that produced tide/edit, is producing a Japan release of "Arigato Internet", with five new tracks, four remixes and one new song, "Home" they're releasing it (the album) in Japan around June or July. I went there to rest after the album launch (Arigato Internet, local launch-read here)  do a few performances and chill.



The Reese Effect: Fans line up to get photos with their favorite Internet savy girl. 

What was it like performing in Japan? What was the audience like?
How did they receive your music?

Reese: Actually it's ccol, 'coz a lot of Filipinos came. That were either (foreign) exchange students from Manila or they just live in Japan and they follow me on Instagram. There were a few Japanese who came but they don't understand English, so I don't know what they thought of the music but they wanted a picture, so it was pretty cool but I don't understand what they're saying, but they were very apologetic and they are very enthusiastic about it naman. They were very polite. Actually I went to an underground club where a rock band was playing and the Japanese audience was very polite, so after a set they would applaud (claps) they wouldn't even scream (even if it was a rock band). Sobrang weird because tayo we go "Woooooh!" It was weird but it was refreshing.

So this Japan release-is there any chance that it's going to be released here locally as well?

Reese: I'm going to have a hundred copies pressed. I'm going to keep and give copies to those who helped me with the album and have about eighty copies to be sold. Super limited edition. It would be good for the Filipino fans who can get their hands on it. It's super different with five bonus tracks. Different album art - like one that I gave you. (See below). There will be a booklet too. It will have a different design, very Japanese. 

Eighty copies up for grabs - paunahan nalang. (Laughs).



You were recently a Spotlight Artist on Myx. What was it like? Opening cable TV and seeing yourself there? Did you think that one day it would actually happen?

Reese: Actually never. Kasi sobrang avid fan ako ng mga music countdowns. Before there was VidOk and then Myx.  Lagi kong sinusubaybayan dun kasi walng internet. I mean hindi naman uso ung Internet and you wouldn't really get the chance to hear the music that you like again and again unless you have a CD or a cassette. So yun lang ung way mo para mapakingan siya, abangan mo sa countdown. So now, you can just watch it on YouTube or whatever but it's still like a big thing, I think. A lot of people discover me through MYX parin. They tweet me like I saw you on MYX or I saw your video on MYX, I think it's so cute. And they eventually follow me, so I think it's a good exposure-to be on mainstream TV. I think any exposure is good exposure. So it's super surreal because I never thought that the shows that I was watching. I would end up being in it.



Check out her super cute MV Exploration No. 5 in the video above!
  





Even I had my own fangirl moment with Reese.
What's next for Reese?   

For this year. Sana I can release a mini EP lang talaga. If not this year then early next year. I've just finished my first song yesterday. I sat down and finished it in a day. I'm excited because it's going to be an experimental kind of sound. Kaya EP lang. Parang electronic-ish -more on the likes of BANKS, and Oh Wonder. Parang ganun ung ineexperiment ko.  I'm getting April (The SunManager) to help me out, produce and Josh (of Autotelic) -of course. So un, that's my mini project. I don't have a timeline yet but its more of less at the end of year, hopefully.

Thank you Satchmi for the opportunity to have a chat with Reese. :)

Read my "Arigato Internet" Album Review here.











Teaser. Teaser. A look at Reese's Arigato Internet Japanese album art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment