Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Movie Review: Ben-Hur


 Growing up in a devout Catholic household and studying in Catholic schools from Pre-School to College. I have always hear about the Roman occupation in Jerusalem during the time of Jesus but I have never fully understood it until I saw Timur Bekmanbetov's "Ben-Hur" based on Lew Wallace's classic epic "Ben-Hur: A tale of the Christ". 

You might also want to know that the original movie 1959 Ben-Hur has 11 Academy Awards (including Best Picture) under its belt.

As a history buff I really enjoyed the film, unlike past movies in the same setting, "Ben-Hur" features chariot racing, instead of the blood sport in the "Gladiator" but trust me when I say that chariot racing is a whole new blood sport in itself. Another first on the screen (for me at least) was featuring what went on in the galley of a Roman warship! Before I get ahead of myself though let's go back to the beginning of the film which shows the story of two brothers. A prince of Jerusalem Judah Ben-Hur (Jack Huston) and his adoptive Roman brother Messala (Toby Kebbel). Yes I know very "Moses and Rameses".

Wanting to prove something of himself, Messala leaves to become an officer in the Roman Army.


Upon Messala's return the tension between the Roman army and the people in Jerusalem is on an all time high and in an unfortunate turn of events. Messala chooses to betray his family for the Roman army. Separated from his wife, mother and sister, Ben-Hur is taken to become a slave in a galley ship. Where he takes one day at a time, with only the will to survive keeping him alive. 

Building up as a classic revenge epic, the plot of the story thickens with the appearance of none other than Jesus Christ himself, played by Rodrigo Santoro, who is a constant presence in the film and whose influence touches Ben-Hur. I must say that Santoro was a very charismatic presence in the film. I could feel my heart exploding and the tears just coming, whenever he was on screen. 


Aside from Santoro, Jack Huston and Toby Kebbel also gave amazing performances! I can't say much for the female leads in the film though, I felt that they were the weak link in the bunch.

Mind you, before you get to the meaty part in the movie you would have to get through a dialogue heavy first act but after that everything is pretty much edge of your seat excitement. Remember this is "Wanted" director Timur Bekmambetov so those were some pretty jaw-dropping action sequences.

7.5 out of 10 Part historical film about the occupation of the Romans in Jerusalem to satisfy that scholar in you, part "Fast and the Furious" on chariots for your action cravings. "Ben-Hur" also has some religious tones which will surely move you in your seat. The epic adventure has something for everyone!

Ben-Hur is now showing in cinemas!

No comments:

Post a Comment