Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Movie Review: The Secret Life of Pets


When the first trailer for "The Secret Life of Pets" first came out I was immediately sold-I mean "Come on! It's a movie about Pets!" And what pet owner doesn't wonder what their pets are up to when they're not at home? I know I do and my office mates can bear witness to that  with my 2 AM musings of "I wonder what NamNam (my cat) is doing?". 

So "The Secret Life of Pets" was definitely on my to-watch list but when the full trailer came out and we got more of the movie's feel, my seatmate at work (movies is one of our go-to topics) pointed out that the premise of the film was a lot like "Toy Story", new pet is in the picture and now old pet is threatened; a group of abandoned pets are out to wreck havoc on poor unsuspecting humans-(just change pets with toys) and I actually realized that too but nevertheless I still entered the cinema excited to watch the film. 

You see, I'm a "pet person" just because I have a cat, people immediately assume that I prefer cats over dogs, when in fact, I don't mind having either. Just don't tell Paul since he's pretty set on just having one cat :P 

So regardless of the similarities with "Toy Story" I was still willing to give "The Secret Life of Pets" a chance. 

I'd watch again just to see this cutie. 

So the movie revolves around the premise of what your pets are up to when you walk out the door. 

"Where do they go?" Asks the cute terrier Max, voiced by Louis C.K. who just wants to be with his owner Katie 24/7. While Max is content to spend the day waiting for his owner to come home, the other pets living in his apartment, have their own agenda, whether it is eating that turkey in the ref, watching out for squirrels or getting a back rub from the mixer, these domesticated pets have the easy life all figured out. 

However, a big change comes in Max's life-literally, when Katie brings home Duke, a massive mongrel voiced by Eric Stonestreet. Max wants Duke out but Duke has other ideas. 

What follows is a crazy adventure that brings these domesticated pets out in the streets of New York where they run into the cutest villain ever a white fluffy rabbit named Snowball, voiced by the hilarious Kevin Hart. 

Snowball has assembled an army of abandoned pets and plans to have their revenge on the humans who left them. Max and Duke get mixed up in the group and must now find their way back before Katie gets home!  


The story unfolds within a day and is more adventure comedy than anything else. There are a number of plot holes for me, especially with the large number of characters introduced, it's hard to warm up to anyone except for the villain Snowball! 

Yup. I don't think I've ever fallen in love with an antagonist as much as I have with Snowball. I would watch the movie again just to see and hear this cutie. Casting Kevin Hart was a genius move! I'm going to get me his Happy Meal toy soon! 

You would expect that the film would have a heartwarming climax, I was ready to shed some tears but it never really comes to that. It seems like it's just the crazy adventure of a bunch of friends out in New York. Granted of course that they walk on all fours and are covered in fur or feathers. 

The comedy is a bit slap stick and a bit of an overkill (literally) at times but that is another saving grace of the film. It's one big laugh trip as you see adorable pets, both domesticated and abandoned make their way through the sewers and the streets of New York. Also- what is it with pets wanting to drive cars and buses? 

While the film tries to cement a sort of foster brotherhood between Max and Duke, this is not really highlighted, given the many things happening and the many characters coming in and out of scenes. 

I still enjoyed the film even if it was not as grounded as I would have wanted. It was fun and that should be enough to bring the kids and the family to enjoy. 

7 out of 10. Discover "The Secret Life of Pets" with your family-in theaters August 24. 


No comments:

Post a Comment