Monday, September 5, 2016

Events: At 5'8 "Game of Thrones'" Joe Dempsie is considered tall in the Philippines -and he loves it!


"The amazing thing is - in the Philippines I'm considered tall?" Joe Dempsie said in an intimate meet and greet session with fans during the last day of AsiaPOP Comicon. Ending the sentence as a question, rather than as a statement. This was met with laughter from the crowd. 

"That has never happened before!" He continues on saying. The "Game of Thrones" actor, stands at about 5 feet and 8 inches tall. 

There are many characters in the hit HBO series "Game of Thrones" whose fate or demise has been an object of heated discussion and contention but it is the fate of Gendry, played by Joe Dempsie which is surrounded by the most mystery. The now-only surviving Baratheon was last seen rowing away three seasons ago and no one knows what became of him. 

Once news that he would be hitting Manila for AsiaPOP Comicon spread the interwebs, the joke was that he rowed all the way to Manila. There is even a variety of memes on the internet on Gendry's rowing and when  you're a meme then you know that you have made it. 


The question "How long will you think Gendry will be rowing?" was tossed a lot during Joe's time at APCC. "He'll be rowing until Dave and Dan (Benioff & Weiss, the show runners) decide to have him back. When we last see Gendry, we see he's rowing away, rather terribly. He'll have to get a lot better at it if he's going to survive." Dempsie jokes. 

"I'd love to have him back. I'd love to be back. Fingers crossed." he adds. 

In his scheduled "In Conversation" session during APCC, Dempsie was interviewed by radio personality Chico Garcia, who asked him. 

What do you think about that whole internet theory shipping you with Arya Stark? The whole crowd goes wild at this. Is it going to a thing? People would love to see Gendry and Arya together. 

"I mean, it's one of those things that um - fans are going to pick up on in the show and I think that maybe there's a hint of that in the books but again I don't have any idea if Gendry is returning and let alone if he will cross paths with Arya again. I'd say that I'd like to because I like working with Maisie (Williams, who plays Arya Stark) She's an incredible young actress. It's weird because I thought I'd be doing this (acting) for a few years now but I was learning from her (Williams is 19 years old). She's incredibly talented. 

Chico then asks. Have you seen the meme, where she (Arya) tells you, (that) you'll be her family and you tell her, you won't be my family, you'll be my lady. This elicits cheers from the crowd. 



"I remember when that episode aired and there's this avalanche of memes on Twitter. For me the way I interpret it is - you wouldn't be my family, you would still be my superior. You are a highborn and I am a lowborn, essentially a nobody. People can read those lines however they want, I think that's one of the interesting aspects of being part of "Game of Thrones" the fans are so committed and they will analyze and pick apart every scene and line and I think it's just great. 

In a cast as large as "Game of Thrones" Chico asks Joe, if there's any friction on the set. 

"Yeah-there's bound to be d*ck in there?" Dempsie jokes but then goes on to say. 

"I auditioned for three parts before I was cast. I initially auditioned, wouldn't get the part. I thought, they think I'm terrible, I'm rubbish but that wasn't the case and they keep getting me back in for other roles and I think in my mind what that was all about is that they identified people they wanted to work with, that they (Benioff and Weiss) felt would fit in this kind of family that they created. Which piece of the jigsaw are you? Which character are you? I think they deliberately assembled a team of people that would kind of get on and it worked. 

Joe confessed to being a big fan of Kanye West but said that he couldn't rap. 


Click HERE for more photos of Joe during APCC. 

Click HERE for more posts on AsiaPOP Comicon on the blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment