Monday, October 3, 2016

TV: HBO's Next Hit Could Be "Westworld"



I was actually invited to an advanced screening of "Westworld" but  unfortunately had to decline due to schedule and logistics, you know, the whole "night shift" thing. 

BUT I still wanted to write about it (before the premiere episode) because- well I'm looking forward to seeing it! I first heard about the TV series from Paul's Uncle who came home from the US recently. We were talking about "The Magnificent Seven"  and then he mentions "Westworld" and how he wants to see it. THEN just earlier I was with my cousins and my Tito David Hontiveros (-oh you know the Palanca award winning writer) says that he's also looking forward to the series. So with glowing recommendations (from my Uncles-no less) I was also looking forward to the series. 

No, this is not a review of the first episode as I will be seeing it with the rest of the world during it's premiere in a few hours, but more of a piece where I talk about the series and look into its history. 

Based on the 1973 film of the same title, HBO's "Westworld" is produced by J.J. Abrams, Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy takes place in a "Western theme park" occupied by humanoid robots (Cowboys and Indians-the whole shebang) where guests can get to have that "Wild, Wild West experience" because we've all wanted to be a cowboy (or a cowgirl) once in our lives right? 


The original 1973 film, the story takes a more "Jurassic Park" approach with the robots who goes bersek and starts killing guests but with the 2016 Westworld, the trailer seems to point to a reversal of roles with the androids finding themselves trapped in the world, controlled by the cunning Anthony Hopkins. 

Evan Rachel Woos is the beautiful Dolores, blonde, blue eyed, she is the perfect Western lady, yet she has trouble putting a line between what is real and what is not. 

Could this be the networks next hit? 

Let's all find out when "Westworld" premieres on HBO on Monday October 3 at 9:00 AM
with an encore telecast at 9:00 PM! Check out the trailer above! 






No comments:

Post a Comment