Monday, November 5, 2012

Interview with a Storm Trooper

An oldie but definitely a goodie. The first film in the franchise was released in 1977. 

I grew up knowing Star Wars. My father was such a big fan that when my parents were first expecting to have a baby my Dad wanted the baby to be named 'Luke' if it was a boy and 'Leia' if it was a girl. 

After two miscarriages though Luke and Leia were forgotten and I became a Marica.


Star Wars has always been a part of my childhood, growing up I was always surrounded by Star Wars and as a child you can just imagine how many scenes in the trilogy really left an impression on me.  Scenes like Princess Leah and Jabba the Hut scene- seeing Jabba the Hut in that scene has led me to use him as a reference for anything big, ugly and just ugh! And of course the whole ‘Luke I am your father’ scene which of course is probably the most referenced line in all of movie and television history.

With the passing of my father in 1997 the love for Star Wars was put in the back burner as I had to deal with the real galaxy (called 'life') that was not far, far away but was right in front of me.

I think its funny how life or should I say ‘the force’ works as my love and appreciation for this timeless tale has made its way back into my life and it happened through the 501st legion (pronounced: 5 ‘0’ first) and with the help of our good old family friend Luis Cacho.


Luis is the best friend of my cousin. When I was younger all my guy cousins and Luis would stay in our house during the summer, this is because my Dad had all the gaming consoles during that time. We were the first people in our neighborhood to own a Play Station. (Yeah we were pretty bad ass back then). So it was gaming marathon during the summers and a 7-8 year old me was part of all that. I would say that I grew up playing the first generation Street Fighter game but my cousins would say that I played the Barbie games so I’ll just stick with Chun-Li over Barbie anytime.

So Luis would stay over during the summer sometimes even staying longer than my cousins, he was around high school at that time I guess, I also remember him painting our lamp posts with my cousins. Those were the good old days we always love reminiscing but things change and when my father died when I was 10 years old that was the big life changer that literally redefined my life.

After 16 years I was able to catch up to Luis and I found out that he was a member of the Philippine Outpost we saw each other again at the 2012 Toy Convention and by this time I was already convinced and determined to interview him about what goes on in the 501st legion in the Philippine Outpost.

After watching The Amazing Spider-Man we had a little sit down with my cousins and this is how our interview went.

Storm Trooper during the 2012 Toycon. Photo by my husband Paul Cheng of Pcheng Photogrpahy. 

As a heads up the Philippine Outpost according to their Facebook page is a non-profit organization, you can read more about them hereVader's First 501st Legion is described as the world's definitive imperial costuming organization you can read more about them here

How did you find out about the Legion?

During Toycon 2004 I saw the 501st  trooping and I found out that my officemate was a member.

What made you decide to join?
Of course my love for Star Wars and I was also jealous of them because they had really cool armor. It was like these shiny pieces of plastic. I also had no idea you could be one of them, that you could be a Storm Trooper.

How did the Legion come to the Philippines?

The Philippine Outpost was founded by Many Mendoza and Oneal Lucero they knew about the International 501st and they decided to make a Philippine Outpost. Manny and Oneal were able to join the 2007 Rose Parade. George Lucas wanted to join the parade that year and he wanted it to be composed of Storm Troopers and Darth Vaders and everything. So he sent out an email to everyone who was a member (of the 501st Legion) from other countries and they had to submit this video application where they had to troop in front of a camera. At this time everything was still under wraps and nobody knew that it was for the Rose Parade. 

So  they were the guys who founded the Philippine 501st and then I joined.

How many members do you currently have?

We have 23 members. This is already guys and girls.

Where and how do you get your costumes? How much do they cost?

Right now you can only get the costume in the States. They are not readily available in the market that’s why it’s a bit expensive rather than just buying it in bulks. The costumes are fan made so you also have to pay for the labor which is expensive in the States. Also since the costumes are just fan-made it’s only one person making it. 

The whole armor, including shoes and everything and even let’s say your trips to Divisoria, the food and transportation would cost you around P30,000.00. The basic armor package in the States would cost you $1,000.00 so that’s like P40,000.00. 

You’re lucky if you can get armor that is second hand since it’s cheaper or if you can get armor that is made of cheaper material.

Is it hot inside the armor?

Very- you can’t even scratch your nose when your sweat is dribbling.

Any funny stories?

Once I bumped my head on a mall sign post. I looked like a dizzy Trooper. 

Troopers of the Philippine Outpost during the 2012 Toycon. 

What kind of events do you go to?

Birthday parties, Weddings, (Yes! Weddings!)  and even School Activities.There was also this event where in Adidas came out with Star Wars jackets (Adidas Star Wars 2010 Collection Launch Event ) so we go to events like those, of course we also attend Cosplays and Toycons.

How does it feel to be part of the Legion?

Well one time at a Toycon I had to call the attention of some new recruits. They posted their pictures on Facebook and I asked them how come they didn’t even introduce themselves to us? I told them that you have to introduce yourself to the group. Even if it is your first time and no matter how excited you are, we take camaraderie seriously. This is not just some costume party I mean, you have to register online and everything to see your name listed in the 501st is really something. There's pride and honor, it's also the passion of loving Star Wars. 

So let's say that there are two Star Wars fans- one who can afford the costume and one who can't but it doesn't mean that the one without the costume loves Star Wars any less. It’s still the same level of passion.

Tell us about the Charity Work that you do and how does that make you feel?

We do have Charity events where in we make appearances and we just say that if you want to pay us you can just give it to charity. We just ask for food and transportation allowance and a dressing room.

We also do charity work like visiting children in PGH (Philippine General Hospital). We visit the children in PGH every year to bring smiles to their faces. 

Painting Trooper. During the Party for the Street Kids  at B-Side. Photo from their Facebook album


Children getting a high five from a Trooper during their Charity Event-Part for the Street Kids  at  B Side. Photo from their Facebook album



What goes in your mind when you put on your whole armor?

One thing I learned when in costume you live it. You don’t pretend to be like a clown dressing up. If you’re Vader or Boba or a Storm Trooper – you really try to act like them. I always call the attention of those troopers who always look around because they are excited. Stop moving. you can look with your eyes, don’t look excited. I know that you can’t avoid being excited especially if it is your first time but you have to remember that you have to sell the illusion. If Darth Vader is there and he is being silly then you won’t respect him since he is not as fearsome as he should be. That’s what happens when you wear the costume you become the character, you become the person.

The first time I wore my costume I was emotional. It was at a children’s party my Dad just died then and he loved Star Wars and for me it was like ‘Pa this is for you’. I was very happy. 

What does your wife think about you Trooping?

Well…fortunately she’s here and she’s speechless! She loves me so whatever it is that makes her happy- is okay. (Me: Are you answering on her behalf?!) Well..what would any wife or girlfriend think? Ok fine you’re putting on a costume like that at least you’re not cheating on me. You know but then she finds out the price…. (silence). But you know with other guys it’s cars, bikes, guns, air soft-for me it’s a costume! 

Me and Luis (in his Bobba Fett -movie accurate costume- during Toycon 2012. Photo by my husband Paul Cheng. 


Can you tell us about a fulfilling experience while trooping?

Of course the charity work that we do is very fulfilling. Being part of the 501st alone is fulfilling- the thought of wearing something that you thought was impossible. You know as a kid-it was just a dream but now it’s real.

What are some of the challenges?

Maintain the ideal weight so you can fit in the armor (laughs). There are many challenges like it’s also painful when you wear the plastic and the armor hits your skin- you get physically hurt there are cuts and bruises. There is also the challenge of increasing the number that we have in the outpost. You see below 25 members is called an outpost and above 25 is a garrison and it took 8 years to come up with that 23 and that’s too long.


Even if Luis said that they are not superheroes in some ways the members of the Philippine Outpost are modern day heroes who keep the love for Star Wars alive. And for Luis who dedicated his first trooping to his father, this interview of mine is dedicated to my Dad. This one’s for you Daddy- I get to keep the legacy of Star Wars alive and that makes the force strong in me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment