Saturday, February 16, 2013

Para Thrilla in Manila Part 2

So much stored energy. Raw photo by Mariae Evangelista ( @shitxhappens ). Minor post processing by me. 


Like the big Paramore fan that I am - here I am blogging about the event while everything is still raw, fresh and unfiltered. It's already 2:11 AM Manila time and we've just come home from a (dare I say) way better Paramore concert than their last one in 2010. 

Well for one thing the concert venue was (a whole lot) better since it was held in the MOA (Mall of Asia) Arena as compared to the last concert where it was all gravel, rocks and grass aptly called MOA Concert grounds 'coz it was (just) ground. 

But this time (Woohoo!) the venue was so much better. MOA Arena allowed for the crowd to be enclosed so the cheers, the screams...err the singing could all be easily heard. Plus the venue was air conditioned. (Big plus). 

Our seats were way better compared to their last concert. This time, we were at the Lower Box section and my boss who was able to watch The Keane concert in the same venue already told me the good seats to purchase and damn! were they good! Thanks Boss ^^,  


It's snapping time with Hayley! Photo by: Mariae Evangelista (@shitxhappens). Minor post process done by me. 

This girl is on fi-aaaahhh!. Amazing photo by Isaiah  Abalos. Minor post processing done by me. 



Hayley was way beyond cute, being her crazy, sweet self - throwing kisses to the crowd and asking how come they sounded so small (the smack sound in a flying kiss) when she had so much love to give (Awwwww! We feel your love!) I'm sure every one in that arena felt that the kiss was for them. :p 

She was also so makulit -playing and goofing around with Jeremy and Taylor on stage. Literally chasing each other while performing songs. Hayley was also kicking the (poor) mic stand- saying that she didn't need it anymore - only to have Taylor set it back up while Hayley had her back turned, only to push it down when Hayley turned around :p 


Photo credit: @ParamoreLAT. Minor post-processing by me. 


The crowd was amazing! There was an estimated 10,000 fans who attended the concert and those 10,000 fans were so fueled up and were just firing away. I saw one tweet that was so true it was hilarious: 

During sound check: 

Male voice (Obviously not Hayley): Mic test, 1..2..
Crowd:AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! 

The crowd did everything Hayley asked them to do -sing, raise your hands, snap to the beat, Heck! They would have probably done anything she said. 

As Hayley also pointed out this was already history since it was also the same place where 'Para Thrilla in Manila' happened (their first concert). Hayley wore a shirt that said PARA THRILLA in MANILA and that was where that all came from.


Para Thrilla in Manila. March 9, 2010. Photo credits: Pj Endrinal 
Although of course not everything went off without a hitch. We already knew that the production would not allow DSLR cameras so we decided not to bring ours. If you've been following our blog it's mostly about my husband's photography and my random craziness and geekiness. 

So we also went out of our way to borrow my friends Canon EOS M camera. It's practically a digital camera-I mean yeah the lens could be intimidating but come on! The lady guard wouldn't let us in! It was so frustrating - I was so pissed at that point and so was Paul of course- our 6 year age difference catches up to him during Paramore concerts. I mean seeing those young fans makes me feel old- what about him right? So he was pretty bumbed out with no decent camera to use to take photos. 

Imagine our surprise when we saw some people who were able to sneak their DSLRs in?! I know that Paul would burst a blood vessel every time he saw an eager fan clicking away with their successfully sneaked in DSLRs. 

We know that music productions can be strict - we were also able to experience being in the media pit - we were able to cover The Taking Back Sunday concert last year - it's like 'okay after three songs- you're out'. Seriously that's how strict they are. And they were also pretty strict during this concert - every time people would go over the edge of the balcony, the burly gentlemen from Ultimate Bouncers (yup! they had that on their shirts) would approach them - discouraging them and asking them to return to their seats. 

So we tried to get decent photos using our phones during the concert - but you can only do so much with your mobile phone right? Although Paul has this one great panoramic shot of the crowd :p 


10, 000 strong. Photo by Paul Cheng. Panoramic view of the crowd. Almost 11,000 fans attended the concert. 


But this is where the miracle happened - as we were going home I was combing through the Kingdom that is Twitter for tweets about the concert, I came across people who tweeted their photos of the event. I started tweeting them and asked them if I could use their photos for the blog and I was so surprised and happy when they said yes! I promised to credit the photos and these are the photos you can see now ^^, 

We did some minor tweaking of the photos just to bring out their full potential. 

It's such a great feeling to be able to get help from my fellow Paramore fans -that's how we spread the love among the ParaFamily. ^_^ This is really one of the amazing things that Social Media makes possible. 


Guitar Boys. Jeremy and Taylor during Para Thrilla in Manila. Photo by Esha Bonsol @janessahairesh


Nice and Slow. Hayley and Taylor during In the Mourning/Landslide. Raw photo by Mariae Evangelista (@shitxhappnes). Minor post process by me :)
Hands up. Photo from Alyssa Delos Reyes (@LyLyLyLyLy)
Thanks for sharing! Post-process by me. :) 




Superbass. Jeremy Davis in Manila. Photo from Alyssa Delos Reyes (@LyLyLyLyLy) 
Thanks for sharing! Post-process by me. :) 
They also had a pretty good set list, playing songs from all their albums including their recent releases- Now, songs from the Singles club, Monster and of course all the crowd and concert favorites. 

Some people have been asking about the set list of the concert. Here is a photo I found online: 


Concert Set List. Photo by Kevin Pableo 



Hayley and Session Drummer Ilan Rubin. Photo credit to owner. Minor post-process by me. 

Hayley: I got hair in my mouth. Photo credit to owner. Minor post-processing by me. 
Checking the sides. Amazing photo from Zaine Barron (@Z_barron). 

Another great photo from Zaine Barron (@Z_barron)

Hayley Power. The photographer must be in awe of Hayley. Photo from Zaine Barron (@Z_barron)


One unexpected and very pleasant surprise was that Hayley said that they would choose a fan to sing with them and this was during the encore- Misery Business - everyone in the arena went WILDER (if it was possible- apparently it still was). 

Everyone wanted to be that lucky person to go up on stage and sing with Paramore but of course there could only be one and that was Vanessa AKA -the chosen one. There was someone from their crew who literally just picked her up from the crowd of eager and pushing fans and just hauled her up the stage. The crowd just screamed LOUDER - they wanted to be that person but of course they were also happy for her. 

You could tell that she was pretty flabbergasted - who wouldn't be right? She was on the stage and gave Hayley a big hug. She also gave a big hug to Taylor (lots a screaming ensued after that)  She brought her phone with her and wanted to take a photo - the dilemma - who was going to take it? Hayley was so nice and sweet saying - here let me do it but of course Vanessa wanted a photo with her and we understand of course! Imagine this was right in the middle of Misery Business the instrumental part before the climatic 'I watched my wildest dreams come true..not one of the involving you..' so Jeremy, Taylor and the rest of the band where just playing while all this was going on. 

So after the photo - which is by now Legen-wait for it-dary! 

Vanessa was even given her own carrot mic to sing with! Argh! How lucky can you get?! 

Hayley promised to guide her with the singing but I can say that Vanessa did us proud she really got up and sang her heart out. :) She really raised the Philippine flag there and then! She was up on stage running around and head banging with the whole band. Wow! Talk about life experiences - if she has a Starbucks planner then that would have been her best moment so far (more like EVER!) 


Best Moment - EVER! Photo credit: Vanessa- the chosen one. Minor post processing done my me ^^, 


I'm not sure if they did that in their Bangkok concert since I was also following that on Twitter and I'm pretty sure if any fan got that opportunity it would be all over Twitter-verse. (Update: Apparently they did with another very lucky fan). 


Update. Check out these new photos by @LandOfParawh0re 
Thanks for sharing! Post-process by me. :)








Heartfelt. Hayley while talking to almost 11,000 fans. Photo from Alyssa Delos Reyes (@LyLyLyLyLy) 
Thanks for sharing! Post-process by me. :)

During a heart felt moment - Hayley spoke to the crowd, telling them how the band's last two years were hard and challenging but that it was every one in the arena that night and so many other people in the whole entire world who helped them through the difficult times and who made them believe in themselves and to want to come out and play music again. 

She encouraged everyone in the crowd that their thoughts and opinions mattered and not to ever let anyone let them think or feel other wise. 

Hayley shared that for two years she was just in sweat pants literally just waiting for the chance to get to play again. This was their second show for 2013 and I think it went off at a great start! 


Sweet and Crazy Hayley. Photo by Mariae Evangelista (@shitxhappnes). Minor post process by me :)


Girl on Fire. Photo by Mariae Evangelista (@shitxhappnes). Minor post process by me :)
In the palm of her hands. Photo credit to @sunbeamykathy - Kathy Tipon-tipon. Minor post-processing by me. 
Lights and Sounds. Hayley amidst lights, love and fans. Photo credit to owner. Minor post-process by me and Paul. 


It took almost 3 years before Paramore came back to Manila, during their 2010 concert Paul and I were still boyfriend and girlfriend, and now-we're married! Maybe when they come back we'd have our own baby- we'll probably get a baby sitter to go out and catch them again for Para- Thrilla in Manila Part 3! It's a date! ^^, 


Here are some Official Photos from the Event Organizers: 


Fiery Red. Singing has never looked so good. Hayley in Manila. Photo by Magic Liwanag. 




Hayley kicks things off. Literally. Photo by Ferdie Arquero 




A Sea of Paramore fans. Photo by Magic Liwanag. 

Bearded Bassist Jeremy Davis showing the crowd his undeniable skill. Photo from myx 

York Power! Brothers Taylor and Justin York - rocking out in Manila. Photo by myx. 

THAT MOMENT. (super) Lucky fan Vanessa taking a photo with Hayley. Photo by myx. 


Also be sure to check back every once in a while for new photos. People are tweeting me their photos of the event. :) 

***Guys if you have more photos of the event you want to share just tweet me @ica_cheng I will credit the photos and post them here. Especially of Taylor and Jeremy. Thanks :) 

18 comments:

  1. Awesome. Didn't got to watch them, but STILL AWESOME

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I'm sure there's a next time :) Thanks for checking out the photos. :)

      Delete
  2. Also pissed with those who'd able to sneak their slr! =)) But I recorded all of their songs through my iPod Touch. Still worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. You just have to put the negative aside and make the most of it. I was still able to get amazing photos from the amazing Paramore fans who shared. :) It was a great night indeed :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hey they played a lot! :p It was the same set list that they played in Thailand. There are photos of the set list online :) Thanks!!! ^^,

      Delete
    2. Hey :) I uploaded the photo of the set list to the blog. Thanks again ^_^

      Delete
    3. Million thanks for the list!
      Love from Paramore fans. :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome photos! It's amazing how social media can bring us together. The concert looked great! Hope they do come back here in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! That's the power of social media ^_^ When put to good use of course :)

      Delete
  5. Had so much fun last night! Dreamt of watching one of their concert. And it was my first time to watch them live with the help of my sweet boyfie. He surprised me with Paramore concert tix last January and i was so happy, teary eyed and speechless when he handed over the tix. Been waiting for February 15, a post Vdate. We brought our dslr with us although we are aware its not allowed inside. Just to take photos before and after the concert, and wishing it will not be confiscated but Unfortunately, we surrendered our dslr to the guard.We went up and look for our seats and i saw a couple taking pictures using their dslr and carrying a dslr. I was totally pissed off and started to cry. I even asked the usher why some of the fans had their dslr with them. Then he just answered me its not their problem anymore. I just shut up and sat down. But i really can't help but cry. sigh! after a couple of minutes i took a deep breath and said "ok! I-eenjoy ko nalang to" we used our ipod and iphone to take vidoes and photos. Boyfie and really had a perfect night! Thank you for tix yukashii! You rocked Manila hayley. you're the best! til next time. :)Thank you for sharing some photos Ms cheng! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellen! Yeah I know exactly how you feel. :P But you are right we should just enjoy the night. Minsan lang to! :) Besides lots of great photos came out naman. You're welcome and thanks for checking out the blog post! ^_^

      Delete
  6. AWESOME! AWESOME to the nth level!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The concert was exciting mann free ride to the arena pa lng haha :)) im so confused why the management don't allow Dslr cameras?! WTF!
    My cam is like hayley's..(Powershot) it looks like SLR But it don't have lens.. But still the ladyguard took it :/ good thing i brought my old digicam.. But when i got inside i saw some dudes taking pictures with their slr.. Then i went back outside they said my powershot is on the list of banned cams.. Totally pissed off! Btw your photographs are awesome.. I send one of my photos to you yesterday :)) @LandOfParawh0re

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for posting. I guess we all have the same experiences when it came to the cameras :p Thank you for sending me your photos. Let me go through them to through my timeline (I have to look for them) so I can work on them. Thanks again ^_^

      Delete
  8. Nice Pictures! Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete