Monday, March 11, 2013

A renewed fervor for OPM: (My) Buzz Worthy OPM Bands


With the continued influx of foreign acts (both from the west and our neighboring countries from the east -Oppa yeah -I'm looking at you Gangnam style) coming to our country for concerts and shows (some of them old artists on the verge of retirement and some young 'artists' not even in college) there are just so many foreign acts coming to our country you might think that there was no supply of our own music here. 

I won't wash my hands, I won't say that I don't listen to foreign artists, because I do. My favorite band is Paramore, I listen to Japanese music and I have my own favorite Japanese artists also. There is absolutely nothing wrong with appreciating music from other countries, all I'm saying is that we should also take a look at our own artists here and support them. 

Record labels and companies: Believe, Make a gamble 

I don't really know much about the music industry and maybe I don't have any right to be speaking about this matter but I do believe that this is also a call to challenge, record labels and record companies to take a risk and gamble with true artists and musicians. Real ones- not 'singers' who only get a break because they are actors or have a celebrity lineage and do we seriously need another 'artist' who does nothing but cover songs? I mean just think about it- celebrities (from movies and TV) get to have their own concert and they don't even in the very definition of it -sing. If all the money from shows and concerts like that were actually invested in a true artist then maybe the music industry here would have a different story. Just think about that for a minute.  

The role that social media plays 

There is something that today's aspiring bands have that other bands did not have a few years ago and that is social media. We all know the power of Social Media, it is a double edged sword, it can either make you or break you. I would  really suggest for bands to take time and invest in using Social Media to reach out to fans who already love you and to potential fans. Get a Facebook page and a Twitter account spread the word, spread the music. Assign a Social Media Manager to manage your accounts or it could be the bands shared responsibility. Take time to answer back, like, favorite and retweet fans who reach out to you. It really helps when fans know that you acknowledge their existence and appreciate them.  

Buzz worthy OPM bands

Here is a list of Buzz worthy OPM bands (for me at least). I would just like to say  that I like the music that these bands play and their songs would actually make it in my playlist and I would actually buy their records. There are other buzz worthy OPM musicians and artists from different genres but that would not be my jam, so if you know of OPM artists from other genres who need a little push to gain more followers and get a little more exposure, I encourage you to write about them! Take to the internet and use Social Media to help our OPM artists. Blog about them. Get together with other fans and create Fanbases. 

Fanbases can be very loyal, they can be intense, they can be rabid- they can be out of the ball park crazy! (at times) But you have to admit that our bands need them. Okay, if not rabid fanbases then loyal fans would do also. 

So before I get carried a way, here is my buzz worthy OPM bands. 


Circa 




Describing their music as experimental rock, Circa is made up of Em TolentinoSAM SalantesARKHO AndalisDEV Dayang and REYCARL Olarte

I was actually able to watch them perform live during Paramore Night 3 and let me just say that they are amazing! Really talented and a really nice group of musicians. 

Listening to their original music you can tell that this band has definitely a lot of potential and there are many opportunities for them to really make it big - if given the chance, that's where we the fans come in. 

Em Tolentino fronting the band is a pretty strong presence. Her vocals remind one of the great Gwen Stefani, they are both haunting and beautiful -just listen to her sing "Ito na bang huling pag-ibig ko?" -it's goosebumps guaranteed. When I watched her perform live she had the crowd at the palm of her hand. 

They are currently playing gigs in different bars, guesting on radio shows and are endorsers for Elevate Apparelmnl (oh diba?!)  Listen to their original song 'Huling Pag-ibig' below. 


Connect with Circa!  

 






Save Me Hollywood 




Save Me Hollywood was formed in 2010 and is actually comprised with some well-known local rock acts such as Chicosci's bassist Carlos Calderon and Typecast's drummer Melvin Macatiag. They are joined with April Morning Skies' Aaron Corvera and Kenneth Aranza. The band is fronted by MYX VJ and Dj for Jam 88.3 Juliann Savard.   


I found out about Save Me Hollywood during an OPM fueled research through Youtube. When I saw their video 'Reckless' (see video below) I knew it-this is my jam! I could and would literally listen to their music, watch their shows, buy their record- the whole nine yards! I was sold! I am a fan! I love their play on Rock, Pop, Punk and Alternative as they describe their music to be. 

Another thing that I loved about their video was that there was a sequence where in it was shot in Ortigas, for me, I felt that it was great if not a relief to be able to watch a music video and say- Hey! I know that place! I felt a connection, a familiarity with what I was seeing and listening to- you might think it's pretty lame and shallow but for me this is another great thing about OPM - you can proudly say that it's ours. 

They are currently playing gigs in different bars and recently had their first out of town gig in Bukidnon. Listen to their original song 'Reckless' below. 





Connect with Save Me Hollywood 

 





Drive Me to Juliet 





Hailing from Cebu, Drive me to Juliet shows you that is never too early to start pursuing your musical dreams. 


Composed of the Racho siblings: Randy Rhoad Racho, Ken Hensly Racho and Kaye Razel Racho they are joined by Isser Job Libres and Jerand Ybanez. 

They describe their genre and influences with 4 letters and those are R-O-C-K. Definitely a band to look out for, Kaye's raw vocals and the guitar riffs that these guys use is impressive for their age. I'm really excited to see how this band will evolve musically. I mean if they sound like that now what more in a few years. 

They are currently based in Cebu, their Facebook page has 15,258 likes. These guys have to come to Manila soon! (Very soon-please!)  And I do hope that when they get here that they kick ass- I know that they can - we should just give them a chance. 


Listen to their hair raising original song -Saving Glass Heart below. 





Connect with Drive Me to Juliet 

 



Mad Hatter Day 


Even if we missed their performance during Paramore Night 3, one listen to their song 'Finding Atlantis' (see below) had me celebrating Mad Hatter Day. 

The band was formed in February of 2011 and is made up of College students from DLS-CSB School of Design and Arts. The band is made up of Mewa on vocals, Paco on bass, Andrew on guitars, Pat on guitars and Cash on drums. 

Describing their genre as Rock/Alternative and OPM (Yehey! OPM!) Mad Hatter Day definitely has a heavier vibe- recommended with lots of headbanging and jumping and comments on their Youtube page are just asking for more. 



They have already released their EP entitled, Alice in Distress last October 2012. I'm still in contact with the band since I want to get a CD copy of their EP. Call me old fashioned but I do prefer the CD version to the downloadable one. Once I get my hands (and ears) on this EP you can expect a review soon. 



They are currently playing gigs in different bars, their Facebook page says that they are unsigned with a record label (and for the love of---they should be! Hello! Calling Record labels out there-sign them up!) 

You can purchase Mad Hatter Day's EP Alice in Distress by clicking on the link here


Connect with Mad Hatter Day 

 



December Avenue 



Okay, so before you guys go 'Hey! How come all of these are female-fronted bands?! Bring out the boys!' And before you think that I'm sexist-I was able to find an all male band that did catch my attention. 

December Avenue was formed in 2008, they describe their genre as Indie-pop, Alternative and slow core. They are made up of Zel Bautista on vocals/guitars, Jem Manuel on guitars, Don Gregorio on Bass and Jet Danao on drums and back-up vocals. 

When you listen to their songs it would remind you of Champ and his Hale days, however that's where the reminders stop since December Avenue have their own distinct style and Zel Bautista's voice is so soothing it's the perfect voice to cradle you to sleep while the rain is pouring outside your window. Just listen to it-I dare you not to get all cozy!It can soothe any raging anger you are feeling-guaranteed. 

They are currently playing gigs in different bars and tease that a full length album will be out soon. (Yes! Please! I beg you!) 

Check out their infectious song 'Sleep Tonight' in the video below. 






Connect with December Avenue 




I really am looking forward to that day when maybe one of these local bands I featured would headline a sold out concert, you know  it really is possible and that would also depend largely on people like you and me who they need to support them. 
These guys, really do deserve more than just playing gigs in bars. They deserve a shot, they deserve a chance. They give us something that foreign acts cannot give us-they give us the pride to call them our very own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment