Sunday, October 26, 2014

My Photographic Journey

There was a point in my life when I had a lot of free time in my hands. When I wasn't working I was hanging out with friends, playing video games or I was in front of the TV. I didn't know it back then but I was unhappy and I was going no where.

Where it all started Voltaire and me. June 27, 2010. Mediahub©
One weekend came, my good friend tagged me along for an event shoot, at first I was hesitant but what else would I be doing, right?  So I came along and was assigned to work on capturing the event via video, but I was told that they had to scrap some parts of the video because I chattered to much.

The following gig, I was assigned to shoot photos.  In my head I thought that it would be easy, but like John Snow, I was still green with Summer and I knew nothing, even if I had 'some experience as a college photojournalist.  It didn't prepare me for the reality of an event photographer's duty.  Long story short, that's when it all started.  I was bit by "the bug", I started asking questions, I started to read more about photography, I shot with the camera, whenever I could and itched for more chances to click on the camera.

Marcos Highway in the evening. December 2010

I learned at first with my friends' help.  Take note, that this was before I had my own camera.  I borrowed his camera whenever I can.  I started to familiarize myself with the Canon EOS system, it was the first camera system that I worked with.  I realized that some of the controls were intuitive and familiar with my dad's Canon Powershot A510, it was a digital point and shoot camera that had generic shooting modes, and creative shooting modes like P, Av, Tv, and M.  The downside of the A510 was it didn't have a manual focus mode on the lens barrel, typical for a point and shoot.  Take note, that there was an option to over-ride the focus of the camera by pressing the down button 2 times to go and manual focus, but it took a long time to get to the desired focusing distance when using the MF override on the said PNS (point and shoot) camera.  It was the camera that I used often when I was shooting for the college school publication back then.

Working with my friend's Canon 40d, it was a beast during its time.  A mid-sized DSLR,  10 megapixels, crop sensor, it can shoot continuously around 5-6 shots per second.   It was an overwhelming creature to control when I started out.  There were a lot of things I didn't know or understand about it, when I shoot with it.  Even If I was overwhelmed by the 40d, I somehow figured things out, eventually.

Shot by: Reyson Angeles. 2010
When I couldn't get enough of shooting, and I had to have my own DSLR, I finally convinced my father to help me on the purchase.  Convincing him wasn't easy, and he gave in.  Another tough task was done, but another awaits-which make and brand of DSLR I'd buy?  I had to do my research ask my friends' advice.  I was caught in the midst of Canon vs Nikon bout.  My office mates that were into photography back then, were Nikon shooters, on the while my high school friends, shoot with Canon.  It was the point of no return, this'll make or break my future.  I had to decide which brand, and then choose a suitable camera.  It took a long time to get to a decision but the Canon 500d was just too irresistible for me.

 July 10, 2010, I bought my camera in Jeptall, Robinsons Pioneer.  I had to hunt around with my dad since I couldn't complete the purchase without him. Take note that this model was elusive back then, but was able to get one.
Japanese Math Rock Band Tricot during the Manila leg of their March 2014 Asian Tour. 

Believe it or not, when the purchase was complete, I caught up with my friends that were going to another event shoot in SM Fairview. So I traveled from Pioneer to Fairview which was a tricky feat, cause it was the first time I did it. Bottom line was that I was happy with my purchase since then.

4 years and 3 months later, I still have my camera, still working, despite of cracks, dents and error 01 with the 50mm. I have it with me wherever I go.  I'm not the one to stick with a single brand, but with what my camera and I have been through, I'm satisfied. My only wish that it'll last me forever.



The Beautiful Sunset of Coron, Palawan. October 2012.
I have shot with Nikon cameras and found them satisfactory.  I like the way some of their shutter's sound, and how their controls are similar to a Canon camera.  However, I found that controls from different camera models/body are different from each, I was perplexed and I had to look into the manual.  I like Nikon's green and yellow color cast,vibrancy and saturation.  But I still find myself reaching for an old familiar friend.

All in all, shooting with a Canon camera introduced me, taught me, and has been with me through thick and thin and still continues to surprise me in the world of photography.  I may have gone a long way but I still have a galaxy to explore.  I'm still thirsty to try new things and own my own mid-sized camera body and full-frame, even if its an older model.  I'd like to capture the world in more capable, and richer depth in colors, more dynamic range and tone from better camera bodies.  The familiarity of the controls and the buttons are pretty much the same no matter which Canon EOS body you shoot with. I have a bad habit of pressing the same buttons over and over(a very bad habit). I just hope I live to see the day when I finally own a mid-size and a full frame body. Sigh...

My drive and passion for photography has even reached the blog-this blog that I share with my wife. When we first started www.pchengphotography.blogspot.com we weren't really sure what the content was going to be; but just like in life we take everything one day at a time and that philosophy has extended on to the blog as well. Making the most out of what life throws at us and taking on one blog post at a time. With Ica writing most of the content she has become the voice of the blog and with me always being behind the camera and taking photos for the blog, this has given our readers a visual understanding of the content; we are where we are and continue to strive for bigger and better things for me to capture in photos for me and for Ica to immortalize in words. That's how we work, we are partners in this and my Canon 500d is a tool in the trade that will always be part of our adventures..or should I say...misadventures.


I just hope my camera last till the day I die...


No comments:

Post a Comment