Saturday, November 29, 2014

Taking a Walk with the Darlings of Technopop MOONWLK


LONG Overdue OPM Spotlight! 

I've always been a punk-rock kind of girl but ever since we've started on this journey of discovery and appreciation of local music I have come to love other genres as well. Case in point is the growing Technopop scene, which I got a good dose of when I saw Techyromantics perform live during Greenlight Music Fest. 

Since then I've been on the hunt for awesome Technopop acts and I'm more than glad to find that in the dynamic duo that is MOONWLK. I've been seeing Amplify.ph feature their songs and even some acoustic performances but unfortunately I haven't had the time to check them out but we were lucky enough to catch them perform live during the opening Reese Lansangan's The Gathering Season Solo Exhibit and what can I say I love what I heard and saw! 

Now I know that that was like weeks ago but Paul and I have been busy with other content on the blog (photography, movies) so much so that Paul has dubbed our Saturdays as "Shatter-days" hails from going straight to events right after Friday shift (which is Saturday morning, since we work the night shift). Even if we've been busy with other stuff and have significantly been absent in the local gig scene these past months that doesn't mean that we've stopped supporting local music, on the contrary this absence has me all geared up to continue with our local artist features- hence this post on MOONWLK! ^_^ 

Our first time to catch MOONWLK and we were impressed!


MOONWLK is an up and coming electro pop duo, comprising of Gabbi Buencamino (vocals) and Nicholas Lazaro (synth and vocals) I saw a lot of music from them from Amplify.ph but havent't been able to check them out then but when we attended Reese Lansangan's "The Gathering Season" solo exhibit we were fortunate enough to catch them perform live and this was the first time that we were going to listen to any of their songs and Paul and I were both very impressed! 

Our favorite song would be 20Twelve which you can download for FREE on Amplify.ph HERE

They really sounded great live - which is always a good indication of the talent of a musical group and MOONWLK definitely had that in the bag. Another thing that impressed me about them is that they actually have a couple of acoustic songs recorded with Amplify.ph and they were as beautiful as the original ones. Just goes to show that these guys aren't all synthesizers and effects, that they can strip down and sound as good with the basics as well. You can check out some acoustic covers HERE

Buencamino and Lazaro's interchanging vocals gives their songs a new depth and layers which coupled with their pleasant melodies and use of synthesizers makes their music multi-faceted, catchy and addicting. 

Just can't get over this duo- when I actuall heard "From The Night" by Stars on the radio I actually thought it was them - that's how good they are! They are in the same wavelength as foreign techno pop acts. I'm also loving that Jam 88.3 is playing some of their songs! I can only predict bigger and better things for this two! Can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy of an album or an EP. ^_^ 


No comments:

Post a Comment