Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pitch Perfect 2 Movie Review




When the first Pitch Perfect movie came out I really didn't think too much of it especially since it really doesn't fit the genres of movies that I usually watch but one afternoon I was at home and the movie came up on HBO and oh boy- did my tummy hurt so much from laughing out loud - think boisterous laughter. Paul always gives me a "don't" look when I'm laughing out loud, I ended up enjoying the music and the movie. 

So when the opportunity to catch Pitch Perfect 2 on it's first day screening came up -ACA-scuse me?! I wasn't going to miss it! Big thanks to Nuffnang and new video messaging app Skype Qik for a fun night of music and crazy sisterhood love and some pretty dope Acapella performances! 

Rare is there a comedy sequel that is actually better predecessor but Pitch Perfect 2 is it! Helmed by first time director Elizabeth Banks, the movie opens with the Bellas, now a 3-time National Champion crash and burn after a disasterous live performance has them stripped of their championship priviledges. Determined to get back on the top; the girls are set to win the World Championships, possibly their last chance at redemption but they have to beat those Germans first. 

In Pitch Perfect 2 the Bellas face an even bigger competition. 

More than just the music and the laughs Pitch Perfect 2 tackles with (SPOILER!) the inevitable reality of life outside of The Bellas. I wasn't in an Acapella group but I was in the College Newspaper though, we also competed in regionals and are pretty much a family (we still see each other every once in a while) so I have an idea what's like to be in that kind of family but come graduation you have to give the reins over to the new generation. Which was ingeniously played into the movie with new comer Emily (Hailee Steinfeld) who becomes part of the Bellas as a legacy to her mom, who once wore the blue and yellow scarf. 



I did sing in the choir from the 5th grade (11 years old) until I got married when I was 26 and yeah I miss singing, learning new songs and practicing, so the movie really spoke to me in that way. 
love that we see a growth and maturity in the characters, they aren't just girls singing in an Acapella group but real characters with dreams and aspirations. 

Of course the movies' gems would be it's tight-knit cast whose chemistry exudes on screen. Rebel Wilson steals the show as the hilarious Fat Amy while Anna Kendricks talented Becca is challenged to dig deeper in her bag of tricks to find a new sound not only for the Bellas but for herself as well. 

I read a movie review that would have given the film a perfect rating except that a lot of the movie's humor revolved on racial gibes and jokes, even our own Filharmonic group who made a cameo in the film wasn't spared. Well as long as no one is going to get butt-hurt with the jokes I guess everything is good right? :) It's all for a good laugh after all :) 


5 out of 5 for me! If you think you've seen all the Acapella tricks in the first movie, you're in for a ride in the second film! Never lacking a dull moment Pitch Perfect 2 will have you singing and dancing to the songs long after you've seen the movie and laughing at the hilarious situations the girls find themselves in as well as the crazy world that is Acapella. 






2 comments:

  1. PITCH PERFECT 2 is essentially the same movie as the first one except the jokes are bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! ❤️
    I do think that the OST of the first movie was better :p That's just me but yes-the jokes were BIGGER!

    ReplyDelete