Friday, September 25, 2015

Heroes Reborn: Second Chances




When the original series of "Heroes" came out in 2006-2010 I wasn't the big TV Geek that I am now and one of my regrets was not getting to follow the original multi-awarded and highly acclaimed TV series. 

It's a good thing that there are second chances-Fast forward to 2015 "Heroes Reborn" is described as a 13 episode event mini series which will be the continuation of the original Heroes TV Series. Lucky me right?! 

I was able to catch a few episodes of the original series just so I wouldn't be completely lost watching Reborn but the challenge with continuing series, or spin offs is that it should be able to stand on it's own while still maintaining the same feel and tone as of the original. 

So after the two hour premiere how did I find Heroes Reborn? 

Well- as the first episode started it felt really rushed like you are suddenly thrown into the fray and so many things are happening at once (you're traveling from one place to another dealing with different characters and story lines) but I guess with an established myth, existing characters and new ones it was going to be crazy, very fast. 



I just love Zacharay Levi! I loved him in Chuck and I love that he's such a big and proud Geek. I was excited that he'll be in Reborn but just sad that he'll be playing the antagonists (well, so far). 

Miko Otomo was really cute but she dresses up like the Pink Ranger and what's up with that CG transformation? Not so sure on how to feel about her plot. Are they trying to re-create Masi Oka's popularity in the original series? Most probably. Will they succeed? That is something that is left to be seen. 


Yes- there are a lot of characters new and old and different story lines that overlap with each other but things manage to intertwine, sort of and you get a grasp of things but it was hard to feel empathy for any of the characters, since they threw in so many of them in one go. 

The episode opens with a peaceful existence of humans and EVOs (you know, another word for mutants) but then a bombing kills thousands, EVOs are blamed and now they are in hiding. Mercenaries in the form of Zachary Levi and his wife are off killing EVOs. Noah Bennett has his memory erased, becomes a car salesman but is soon back to what he does. There are many other characters and new EVOs but we'll have to wait and see how everything plays out. Like I said it's confusing but I'm hoping everything will tie up soon and fast. 

Will I watch episode 2? Most probably yes. Am I worried about the series? Honestly - I am but remember that the first episode will always feel a bit confusing but things should get better along the way. Still giving this one a chance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment