Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Matt Damon: Makes Science 'Cool' in 'The Martian'


Move over Marvin-there's a new Martian in town. 

I was able to finish the novel The Martian by Andy Weir literally hours before I saw the advanced screening of the adaptation by Ridley Scott. It was one of those I-have-to-read-the-book-before-I-see-the-movie moments and I was actually glad that I did. I LOVED the book! (Book Review up soon)  and it also helped me understand the science that is the foundation of the movie. 

9 out of 10 stars! The movie was fast-paced, smart, witty and makes science and geeks (even Botany) look cool! I love that the movie takes on human survival on a whole new planet (literally) and looks into the nature of humans to help, no matter what the circumstances. 

In my opinion it was a very good adaptation from the source material, they stayed pretty much true to it expect for some liberties in the end. I guess they wanted a more exciting and daring scene and they also wanted Golden Globe winner Jessica Chastain to have a bigger and more heroic part in the movie. 


Matt Damon was able to catch Mark Watney's humor and unbreakable spirit. He was perfect for the role! Some moments that were not caught in the book but was captured on screen: (SPOILERS) 

Mark Watney's weight loss. If your diet consists of strict rations and potatoes for months you would loose a few pounds and that was exactly in the movie and which was not in the book. 

Another heart wrenching moment was the emotional state of tears that Mark finds himself in as he nears the end of his ordeal. It wasn't in the book but it was just beautiful on screen. 

If you think Mark was funny on screen - he's a stand up comedian in the book! I highly recommend that you guys read the book too :) 


The movie was not only entertaining but very educational as well I had a crash course in all kinds of science, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Astronomy and I also learned a lot about NASA, space travel, manned and un-manned missions in space. The great thing about it is that you'd be so entertained, you're laughing, you wouldn't realize that you're learning a lot too and isn't that something our teachers would have wanted? :) 

The movie also has some groovy Disco soundtrack. My only dissapointment was - how come they didn't play 'Staying Alive' ?! 

Aside from Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain, the movie has a powerful supportive and colorful cast, made up of Kristen Wiig, Kate Mara, Micheal Peña, Jeff Daniels, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Donald Glover and Sean Bean. 

From 20th Century Fox. The Martian is in cinemas on September 30! 






No comments:

Post a Comment