Monday, September 28, 2015

The Martian - Book Review


When I found out that the upcoming movie The Martian was actually based on a novel I immediately set to work reading it before I saw the movie. I was just rally curious, I had an idea about what the story was about but I really didn't have an idea or clue about the style of the author Andy Weir. Well needless to say I really enjoyed the book! 4.5 out of 5 stars! ⭐️

The Martian has a very interesting narrative as it is told through different perspectives and means. It opens with a log from Astronaut Mark Watney, he narrates in a very casual way using the vernacular, cursing and all that. Despite his situation of being left stranded in Mars, he has a very good sense of humor and you will surely find him hilarious, like stand up comedian hilarious and it is his humor along with the story which helps you (not get bored) past the science in the book. 

I may have a Bachelor in Science degree (Nursing) but I have never been one to take an interest in a Chemistry or Physics and there is a lot of that in the book, even Math (which I have never had a good relationship with) but despite my lack of love for the sciences I still enjoyed the book and I learned a lot from it. 


Author Andy Weir is the son of a particle physicist and he has a background in Computer Science did a lot of research on the material of the book, this is to ensure that it will be as realistic as possible and would be based on existing technology. Weir studied orbital mechanics, astronomy and the history of manned space flight so at least you are assured that the science is real. 

The book is not only narrated through Watney's logs but also takes turns with narratives of the different characters in the book. Some parts of the story are even told through the perspective of a piece of canvas and some Martian terrain. 

It was an enjoyable, entertaining and I must say educational read and I recommend it! You should go out and see the movie too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment