Thursday, January 28, 2016

Turn on the SPOTLIGHT




Okay so before I start I have to get this out first, I come from a cradle-to-the-grave Roman Catholic family and I also married into one. I sang in the choir when I was 12 years old and continued on until I got married when I was 25. Speaking of the time that I got married, we actually had 2 Monsignors and 1 Priest preside over our ceremony. And yes, I also graduated from a Catholic school, from Kindergarden until College. So yes, you get the picture of where I'm coming from and you now understand that part of me, that writes 'Roman Catholic' on the empty box in forms we fill out. 

I'm carrying all of this as I go into the critically acclaimed and award winning movie 'Spotlight'.

Spotlight is an American biographical drama which follows The Boston Globe's Spotlight team's investigation into the widespread child sex abuse cases in the Boston area. You might already have an idea where this is headed-yes, the abuse were supposedly done by members of the Catholic Clergy. 

Movies with the 'dirty laundry' of the Catholic Church is nothing new. There's 'The Priest' and of course the Dan Brown movies, while these are all works of fiction, the story behind 'Spotlight' led the original team to win the 2003 Pulitzer Prize for Public Service. This is no cautionary tale but one based on truth and hard facts.



The year long investigation of the Spotlight team unearths a decades-long cover-up which reaches the highest levels of Boston's religious, government and legal establishments. Spotlight is a tense investigative dramatic-thriller, which uncovers one of the biggest cover-ups in modern times. 

The film stars, cinematic giants, Mark Ruffalo, Micheal Keaton, Rachel !cAdams, Liev Schreiber and Stanley Tucci and is directed by Tom McCarthy. 

Wolves in sheep's clothing is nothing new, they could be priests or corrupt government officials or polygamous pastors, whatever the disguise, there is always that 'shock value' in stories like these, which make for great movies. Being a devout Catholic and a movie geek - I'm both excited and anxious to see this. I guess I'll have to view this film from the perspective of a human being, one in search for the truth and for justice, no matter the robes or disguises. 

With 79 wins and 111 nominations to date, Spotlight will hit cinemas on February 10 and is distributed by Solar Pictures. #SpotlightMovie 




No comments:

Post a Comment