Sunday, May 29, 2016

Opinion: For the love of music: A tribute to Lance Garcia and Ken Migawa

(c) To the Owner of the Photo. 

When news of the untimely deaths of five party goers during Close Up's Forever Summer started appearing on my timeline last May 22, 2016 I was in shock. I mean, talk about a party gone wrong. Immediate speculation points to drug overdose. 

As someone who frequents the local music scene (albeit a different genre) I can't help but miss the point (is there even one?!) of having to use drugs "to enhance the concert experience". I've never used drugs in my life and not just because I'm actually a nurse by profession (I know, talk about a career shift) so I know how it fries your brain and affects your body but I would rather have that pure, unadulterated experience with the music. Now, this is not a 'holier than thou' post I just needed to get my non-existent history with illegal drugs out there. Despite my constant exposure to live music, I often have the cheapest thing on the menu and an iced tea or a soda (I'm not even fond of drinking alcohol, even if it's free) during gigs and shows. 

I posted on my timeline about wanting to write about the incident and going along the lines of the recent paragraph above and going along the lines of "For the love of music-don't use drugs!" 

I didn't get to writing this opinion piece until now which I'm glad was the case (for the first time my unconventional and busy schedule led to the evolution of this piece). A few days after the "Close Up Incident" I started getting news that Lance Garcia, who was one of those that died was active in the local geek community. My friends were friends with him and took to Facebook to express their sadness on his untimely death but aside from being sad, they were angry because Lance was a father (the same age as Paul) who left children behind. Lance did not use drugs, his friends even went on national television to attest to this. 

Lance was cherished by his friends so much, that my timeline was filled with his smiling face (and odly the caption "Hail Hydra" -an inside joke I believe) looking back at me. There was so much love for this person whom I never had the chance to meet but maybe we were under the same roof for a Toy Convention at one time or another) that I simply couldn't write "(Ugh!) These people using drugs to enjoy music-" and judge and preach. I simply could not do that, there was so much loss and sadness already. 

Updates on the case, which has become a national concern reported that the NBI was looking at three angles that caused the deaths: drug overdose, heatstroke and even poisoning. 

The autopsy report of Lance and another victim showed a massive heart attack as well as a number of major organs being affected. 

Lance may not have died of a drug overdose but we can't deny that the use of illegal drugs in concerts and music festivals is a reality. A friend who was at the event said that there were a lot of concert goers who were already under the influence as early as midnight and that some teenagers were even lighting up Vicks Inhalers and using that to get high. 

We can point our fingers and blame the event organizers but there is also something that we can do.

Let's make it a point to be vigilant in events like these. Don't be afraid to report anything or anyone suspicious and make sure to look after each other. Check on one another and see that everyone is hydrated and if you see someone who doesn't seem to look well, seek medical assistance immediately. Keep an eye on your food and drinks as well. 

It may take some time until the results of the official investigation come out (a suspected drug dealer was already arrested) and even then we may not know the entire truth about the incident but it still doesn't change the fact that five people died that one night one of them, Ken Migawa was only 18. 

He went to school with my brother and even went to the house for a school project to interview Paul on photography. He was the same age as my brother when he died. Ken will never get to graduate College, he will never get a first job or his first pay check and just thinking about that sends waves of sadness and loss all over me. He had his whole life ahead of him and he died-for what?! 

They all died at a place where the love of music was supposed to bring people together, a place to enjoy music, to dance and to celebrate life. 

In a place, where summer was supposed to last forever, five young lives were lost. Some may say it's their fault for dabbling in drugs and some may say that they were victims of something bigger and more sinister but I say that all of this is our loss. Whether we knew the victims personally or are within their seven degrees of separation, it is our loss because the darkest and weakest side of human nature won that night. 

Yet I refuse for that darkness win the fight. I will unsheathe my sword and bring out my shield, this dark side of human nature will not triumph. It will not stain music and the pure feelings and emotions it brings out in live events. I refuse to let that happen and you, my dear reader can help me in that fight. 

Let's do it for Lance and Ken.

Let's do it for the love of music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment