Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Movie Review: Warcraft: The Beginning


Paul and I really wanted to see Warcraft: The Beginning despite the bad reviews because: 

a) Paul played the game a long time ago. I played DOTA, albeit only for a few months so I know a little of the lore, which was enough to make me curious. 

b) This was an unprecedented movie based on Blizzard Entertainment's franchise which has gained worldwide phenomenon and we wanted to catch it on the big screen, no matter what the critics said. 

Just to set you up, I have little knowledge of the lore so I would have to agree with the many remarks on the film, that it felt like you were watching a second part of a series, instead of the first. There was no proper prologue to introduce the world Draenor, the world of the Orcs, which was slowly dying. The rise of the orc Gul'dan who unites the orcs into an army called "The Horde". The army goes through a portal which is powered by dark magic, into the realm of men. 

Then of course, the audience would also need a proper introduction of  Azeroth-the realm of men, the different races that lived here as well as the role of the Guardian. I think if there was a proper prologue/introduction, people wouldn't be so confused going into the film. I was honestly a bit lost in the first few scenes but Paul was coaching me and I was able to follow soon enough.   


Now that we have my opinion that the lack of a proper introduction was a mistake, let's go into an understandable set back of the film. The many characters, each with their own motives, arcs, history and issues. So yes, there are a lot of characters and they all want something, one way or another. It's hard to follow them, more so to actually empathize with the characters. I couldn't feel for any of the characters that a dramatic death didn't even stifle a tear from me, which is a surprise, given what a big cry baby I am. Sure, there was a gasp and shock and worry here and there but no real emotion that attaches you to a character. 

The good thing about Warcraft: The Beginning though? Was the damn graphics! The character designs were fateful to the source, the costumes were so detailed, it was as if the characters themselves stepped out of the computer screen and went on the big screen. 

My favorite would be when spells would be cast-I mean, I haven't seen anything like that in movies yet, and there it was, so glorious and beautiful on the big screen.   

The fight scenes were very impressive, the R-13 rating, placed rightly so. I had to cringe a few times but hey it's nothing new in the game. The big scale fights were reminiscent of that in the games and seeing it on the big screen was just glorious. 


Travis Fimmel (TV's “Vikings”) is commendable in his role as Commander Anduin Lothar. He seems to be born to play these kinds of roles. He is memorable on screen, with his hero stance, funny remarks and kick ass fight skills.  

7 out of 10 Stars. While the story telling, pacing and even scene transitions could be improved on, the graphics alone makes the movie worth seeing on the big screen. As Paul said, if you are a fan of the game and want to see more Warcraft movies, turn off your PCs, get off your butts and go to the nearest cinema to see it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment