Thursday, September 22, 2016

Movie Review: The. Magnificent Seven




To review "The Magnificent Seven" without looking into the film's history and legacy would do it a disservice. So indulge me, dear reader as we take a look into the film's roots; by doing so we will better understand the story and significance to it's times. 

Originally a 1960 American western film, it is actually a remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 "Seven Samurai", in 2013 the film was chosen for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant".  

Posters of Kurosawa's 1954 "Seven Samurai" and John Sturges' 1960 remake. 


It is not uncommon for an actor to want to star in a western movie, I think western will always belong along the lines of the old Hollywood films. The 2016 take on "The Magnificent Seven" is a refreshing change from the other genres out in cinemas today. 

With a strong diverse cast of characters led by Denzel Washington, there is no dull moment on screen. I expected to see a gold old Western showdown but I'm glad that I got so much more-a second battle that was bigger and grander in scale. I especially loved that the film looked into using tactics and strategies-I'm always a big fan of those.



I would have to mention some of my favorite characters in the film, Chris Pratt's Josh Faraday was fun to watch with his quick card tricks ad gun skills, it doesn't hurt that he's super cute and charming as always. 

I was also a fan of the Billy Rocks (Byung-Hun Lee) and Goodnight Robicheaux (Ethan Hawke) tandem, probably my favorite role from Lee.



I must also commend that I loved the role and performance of the only female lead in the film. Hayley Bennet as Emma Cullen was just perfect. She is the one who seeks out "The Magnificent Seven" in order to seek revenge/redemption and to save her town. I think I'm a fan. After seeing her in "Magnificent Seven" you can catch her in "The Girl On The Train" - read more here.

I haven't seen any of the earlier versions, this 2016 take is my first encounter of the film and I really enjoyed it and it has definitely made me curious about the earlier versions. I might check them out when I have the time. 

The story has timeless themes, which can be found in any place or in any time period and with the use of new technology and filming techniques makes the 2016 version all the more exciting and an experience not to be missed in cinemas. 

There are gorgeous tracking shots that are to die for and the non-stop action and suspense will leave you wide eyed and with white knuckles, I know that was the case for me. 

8.5 out of 10, 2016's "The Magnificent Seven" brings the best of both worlds-a classic tale portrayed by talented actors and enhanced by the latest in technology and filming techniques will give you a wild, Wild West experience like no other. Like "Welcome to Marlboro country" feels and that's something I had no idea I would miss.

"The Magnificent Seven" is now showing! #Mag7

Photos credited to Columbia Pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment