Sunday, September 18, 2016

Movie Review: Sully



The weekend I was planning to write my review for Sully was the weekend I watched my Lola (Paul's grandmother) pass away in the Emergency Room, in the days that followed I found it difficult to finish writing-anything. 

You see, for those of you who don't know, we live with Lola and over the years I've developed the habit of checking how she's doing whenever I go up and down the stairs, our room is up the stairs while Lola's is by the foot of the stairs. 

Even until now I still keep on looking into her room but now all I see is an empty bed and I'm filled with sadness every time. 

The day we laid her to rest, we were hit by a truck on the way to have lunch with the family. Paul was also due to cover a wedding right after. Becasue of the accident we missed covering the preps but still made it in time for the ceremony. Thankfully the bride and groom were very understanding. So yes, this last week has not been my favorite. 

Writing has always been a way of healing for me, whenever I felt lost, and maybe I'll proceed with my pending movie reviews with that thought in mind.



I can still actually remember when news of "miracle landing on the Hudson" came out, this all transpired in 2009 after all but what I never imagined was complicated investigation that happened behind closed doors. 

While the whole world declared Captain Chelsey "Sully" Sullenberger as a hero-he did successfully land a commercial flight on the Hudson River, saving all 155 people on the plane; he was facing investigation from the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). 

Was a return to the airport after a bird strike (birds-in this case geese, flying into your engines causing damage) possible? 

Was the left engine still working? 

How come computer simulations were able to land the plane saretly back ? 

Apparently insurance and expenses trumps the safety of 155 passengers - #priorities right? 

The National Transportation Safety Board was looking for a scape goat and it was Sully. 

So after saving 155 lives, Sully has to defend himself in an intense investigation, he is unable to work at this time. His career of over 20,000 hours flying airplanes-he began flying at the age of fourteen, was at stake. Goodbye retirement. Goodbye pension. 

So while the whole world sang praises for Sully, he was fighting his own battles. 

Director Clint Eastwood takes us in the mind of Captain Sullenberger as he looks back at the 208 seconds that defined his career as a pilot and saved the lives of 155 people. Could it have done things differently? Should he have tried doing things differently? Was he really the hero that everyone said he was? These questions plagued Sully during the days of the investigation. The film focuses on the investigation and takes the audience into those 208 seconds and the moments that came after. 

"New York needs good news, especially when it comes to airplanes." 

This line caught my attention especially since I also realized that the film was released close to the anniversary of 9/11 and I thought that yes, we do need to celebrate the "wins" that we have. 



Impressive performance from Tom Hanks, as always. I must also commend Aaron Eckhart's take on co-pilot Jeff Skiled, his subtle cheerful demeanor was a good balance to Sully's more serious personality. 

Another part of the story I did not think about until seeing the film were the different unsung heroes who responded after the plane hit the frigid waters of the Hudson River, this happened in January when a dip in the River is definitely not pleasant. My heart grew as I saw the emergency responders arrive at the scene to help the passengers to safety. It was also very touching to see families reunited and safe. 

7.5 out of 10. Celebrate the wins in life with this beautiful true to life story. "Sully" is still showing in cinemas! 






No comments:

Post a Comment