Sunday, October 9, 2016

Music: Photo series: Autotelic: Papunta Pabalik


When Autotelic's "Papunta Pabalik" was launched last week, there was reliable information going around cyberspace that copies will be available at Astroplus stores on September 30, a day before the actual launch on October 1. 

So Paul and I headed to the nearest Astroplus only to be told by staff that it the album will only be available after the official launch on Saturday. 

With heavy hearts We went home but all was not lost as we could still enjoy the album on Spotify :) 

The team (naks-just Paul and I actually) was scheduled to cover another music event on Saturday October 1, although we could have gone to the album launch after, I was actually "afraid", yes we were "afraid" of the crowd, which was surely going to be HUGE, like overwhelmingly HUGE and well, Paul and I aren't as young as we were and I also came from work so we weren't really a 100% and the thought of fighting for breathing space had our 30 year old (30+ for Paul hahaha) knees shaking. 

A week later. 

We were at SM Megamall to pick up a gift for my godaughter and we swung by the Astroplus branch to (finally) get a copy of "Papunta, Pabalik" and this is what happened. 

Me: (To the Sales Lady) Ate - meron po ba kayong Autotelic? 

Sales Lady: (Enthusiastically) Ay mam meron po! Marami! 

Goes to the display where there are 3 copies visible. 

Sales Lady: Malakas po sila mam, dapat hangang dito ang display, indicates a spot which was now occupied by another album instead of Autotelic's. 

Me: Oo nga po, nag kaka ubusan nga po sa ibang mga Astroplus stores. 

Sales Lady: Ano po bang tunog nila mam? 

Me: Hmm..parang electro-pop po. 
(Phew, I don't have my music reviewer hat on). 

Sales Lady: Para ba sila ung isa pang indie na banda na sumikat? Ano nga un? Ah! Up Dharma Down! Parang ganun ba? 

Paul: Ay ndi po. Ibang iba po. 

Me: Mas up-beat po ung tunog nila (Autotelic). 

Sales Lady: Ndi po kc namin pweding buksan ung CD, she was obviously curious. 

Me: Ay nasa Spotify po sila, pasok nga po ung mga kanta nila sa mga Top lists sa Spotify.

While this was going on, Paul and I were trying to take a photo of the CD. 

Sales Lady: Suddenly has a stern face. Mam, taga MCA po ba kayo? 

Me: Ay, ndi po. 

Sales Lady: Kasi po bawal picturan ung CD. 

Paul: Ay - bayaran mo na yan dali! (Jokingly). Para pwedi na picturan.

So we went to the counter to pay for the CD. Good thing the Sales lady didn't ask me to erase the photo. :P 

Ate Sales Lady asked the girl at the counter, "Ilan pa ung Autotelic?" After punching something in the computer she responds "Seven." (So much for "maraming copies") but then as a fan, I'm happy that the album sales are doing so well. 

I wasn't originally planning on doing a post for this but we had such an interesting encounter at the record store, we decided to do a photo series of sorts. It's funny that, that one photo had so much going on in the background. 



And then there were two. 

We have been following Autotelic for some time now, just as they were about to break though the mainstream scene and I'm really glad that we have a copy of their first LP. (Review here.) It would probably be hard to get a copy of the first LP, I don't know if the band has any plans on reproducing copies, given their success and huge following. (Hello Telic friends!) I'm just glad that we have ours. I remember Josh still had long hair when we got this copy in 2014. Signatures for the two CDs are not yet complete - I still have to work on that.  



#CDsNotDead


-is something that I've been trying to promote and try to post whenever I can. I don't know, maybe it's got something to do with being born in the 80's and being a kid in the 90's. Paul and I really still do prefer physical copies of the music that we listen to. I have a humble collection of vinyl and CD at home, when we get to fix it up I can probably start taking photos, doing features and what not. 

I do have a Spotify account and listen to songs there as well but you know, you can have the best of both worlds. Easily access songs on Spotify and still have that tangible CD in your hands. Just pop it in the player, whether in the car or at home to just let it play. Without you having to think about what song should be next on a playlist. 

There is a lot of work that goes on behind an album, it's not just the music but the packaging and the album art as well and Paul and I like looking into that and appreciating what goes into it. 

+Plus you can have it signed by your favorite artists after a show! 

As I said earlier, this was an accidental post but then when "inspiration strikes" right? I will definitely be doing an album review for "Papunta Pabalik" soon but for now it's currently playing in our CD player at home and in the car for when we go out for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment