Thursday, February 14, 2013

Project 365: Week 2



As posted earlier this year(around last week of January), I started with Project 365.  This post contains photos that were taken from January 31,2013 - February 6, 2013.  As the little project went on, I start to think what shot should I take, what should I do?  So My mental state was thinking of doing things differently.  So without much further ado here are photos 8-14.

January 31, 2013 - #8 Ridges


As of this day, I was puzzled why shooting macro in with a reversed kit lens, doesn't give me proper exposure. In my week one blogpost, on day 5; I was perplexed as I had to bump up the ISO way up to 6400(so that's the reason why its all grainy).  I read somewhere that shooting with a reverse ring you'll have to manually adjust the aperture of the lens(which can be done with an older lens), and of course contact points from the lens to the camera body isn't communicating which results to setting the ISO really high. 

I worked my way around it by trial and error.  I used, a wireless trigger(not sure of the brand) and a Canon 430 EXII.  Placing the flash near the subject, and setting it in M(manual) to set the power output manually.  I had to shoot a few test shots, for framing, and light positioning since macro and using strobes are not my strength(do I have any?). It's tough tiring and tedious, but once you got the desired shot, you'll be happy.






February 1. 2013
           #9 The View from the Office 


Planning ahead, I tried to get some shot list in Pinterest ( a list of things to shoot) and found this shot list.  I found this pin and said to myself to follow it to the teeth....


That's what I thought then but I ate my words, eventually. 








My View Today - as it says on the shot list, here's a photo of the office view.  Here you can see the sun start to set in Ortigas Pasig. This one is shot with my iPhone 4S, since the office doesn't allow anyone to bring cameras in(but I got the phone in, which is also not allowed) 

I didn't get a chance to shoot my camera, since I was dead tired after work that day.  



February 2, 2013 
Words 
Words - Shot at home, with my camera(Canon 500d) with the nifty fifty mounted(50mm 1.8) with a little post processing to get the textures of the canvas up a little.  

My subject is the canvas that was used in our wedding, where guest writes their greetings and other stuff.  This was a blank white canvas back in November 2011, and I painted  cherry blossoms on the side, since its the theme of the wedding.  

Reminiscing a little too much on this, but
looking at it now, brings back the emotions brought by the wedding(before, while and after).







February 3, 2013 - #11 Hands/Arms/Feet





Hands - I found this one lame(from the shot list).  Here is where I start to deviate from the list and thought of another way or more like a work around from this one.


Hands can only be found in human beings, but since I don't like shooting hands, I shot a dead roach found in the maid's bath room.  Any way, I shot this one with my trusty camera, with reverse ring and the kit lens, wireless trigger, flash.


Just like earlier shot done(Jan. 31, 2013), I had to shoot it a few times, to get the right lighting effect, right composition and focus. This one is shot handheld that's why you get a little camera shake on the legs.

I didn't post this one on PCheng Photography FB page, people might find this icky and gruesome.


February 4, 2013 - # 12 Pastel Colors
A Stranger - This is definitely not a shot of someone I don't know.  I still have a hard time shooting in the streets for security reasons and personal reasons.  Since I started veering away from the shot list.  I wasn't afraid of doing it again, LOL.

These are ice cream bowls, they come with spoons but I found these sufficient enough for my little project.  We got the whole set as a gift from our friend during our wedding.   

Shot with the preferred 500d, and 50mm prime lens.  Straight forward on the floor with sunlight from the window. I find the sun light bring out the natural colors of the bowls.

February 5, 2013 - #13 Wife reading 'Unwholly'


10AM - Definitely not the time when I shot this.  FYI, we were doing errands around that time frame, so I wasn't able to do the concept shot.  

We went out to have a quick meal before we went home to rest for the day.  

Shot with 500d, 50mm prime lens.  I'm starting to favor this setup heavily since I'm still practicing with it a lot and my kit lens cannot focus automatically anymore.  

Ica was facing the glass window which gives out a nice warm even light from the sun.  Good thing we didn't get any harsh shadows even though the sun was quite strong during the day. I got lucky with this one.





February 6, 2013 - #14  In Reverse



Dinner - Obviously not our dinner that day.  Usually, I don't go out and shoot what I eat(unless it catches my eye or in most cases my wife orders me to shoot it).  We typically eat at home with a simple meal and that's it. 

I found this part of the rice cooker intriguing since the numbers denoting the quantity of water and rice in the said container is in reverse.  

Shot with 500d, and 50mm.  Tried to go for a black and white shot for this one.  I typically shoot in color then I turn of the colors in Lightroom.  






I find it challenging to keep on shooting and do things differently.  You may have a list of shots or not but you're still free to wander away from it.  The list is just a guide, but you can still do your own thing.  The important thing is you keep trying new stuff.  

As they say practice makes perfect.  Hopefully, I'll be able to continue this project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment