Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Album Review: Gracenote, First Movement






OK so I feel like a hermit that has just come out of it's cave. I know that I have not been updated when it comes to OPM (Original Pinoy Music) but before you pelt me with stones and boos I would like to redeem myself by saying that like the prodigal son I have come back to pay homage to music from my very own country men. 

I was reawakened (much like a sleeping dragon) when I came for Paramore Night 3, I was able to watch amazing bands Midnight Meetings, Circa and Gracenote perform live and that did wake up a sleeping appreciation for OPM that I guess is in each one of us. 


Inspiration. For the shoot we borrowed my friend's violin and set it up with my Gracenote playlist. We don't know how to play the violin :P 



Over the past weeks I've been following the bands over social media (Facebook and Twitter), listened to songs on youtube and ultimately (without much persuation I must add) decided to pick up Gracenote's album- First Movement. 

So that is basically the back story to this review- so before I trail off with incoherent thoughts here is what I think of Gracenote's First Movement. 

I think it's great! 


The album has 8 tracks and you might think that it's not worth it but let me tell you that it is! It is sooo worth it! (With large bold fonts-for emphasis).

Aside from great music you get to support OPM and I believe that there is no price for that. 


So here is a run down of my thoughts about the songs in their 8 track album which was produced by 6cyclemind's Rye Sarmiento. 


Gracenote during Paramore Night 3 

The album has an easy going feel, it's not the type of music were in you have to put the volume down when your mom walks in the room. 

It's also a good CD to pop in your car for a road trip. (Parang 'Pwede Ako' lang ang peg! ^^,) 

Their carrier single 'Minsan Lang Naman' which reached the Pinoy Myx Countdown at No. 8 is a song that showcases Eunice's violin and vocal skills. As well as the band's infectious melodies and the transition from upbeat to slow song is very impressive and shows their song writing prowess. 

Pwede Ako 

One morning as I was waiting for sleep to take me, Twitter was all a buzz about Gracenote's song 'Pwede Ako' being featured in the show 'Be Careful With My Heart' now while we don't really watch the show and only know it because Paul's friends tease him as 'Sir Chief' ('coz of the glasses and his last name being Cheng) Paul corrects them, he is not Sir Chief but Sir Cheap but anyways going back to Pwede Ako - the song features Kean Cipriano. Personally I think that the song is good enough even without Kean contributing his vocals. I know I could get 'cyber-kuyog' by just saying that but that's just my opinion. 

Fans have been all a flutter with a Eunice and Kean pairing that I even ran across a twitter account dedicated to the love team. So in the end I guess it was a good marketing strategy to have Kean in the song. 

'Pwede ako' has a catchy tune and is perfect for a feel good romantic comedy like 'Be Careful with My Heart'. The simple accompaniment of the guitar makes it for an easy going, chill music that just makes you sway side to side when you hear it- (I know I do!) and Eunice's shows the vulnerability of her voice which makes it even more endearing. 




Paramore of the Philippines? 

Going through their videos on Youtube it would be impossible not to see comments saying that the band sounds a lot like Paramore. That some have even called them 'The Paramore of the Philippines' although I would say that that title has been used generously among many female-fronted bands in the Philippines (watch out for an upcoming blog post I'm working on featuring buzz worthy OPM bands).  

It's not exactly headline worthy material to be compared to another band, I mean every band has to have their own influence right? It does not mean you have to crucify them for it. The band has been open about Paramore's influence in their music. (It is in their Facebook pageI did come across the band during Paramore night after all so it really is no surprise.  

Once you listen to a couple of Gracenote's songs you would realize that they have their own style and whatever comparison to Paramore easily fades away to reveal a style that is uniquely theirs.  

The Violin Factor 
One thing that separates Gracenote from other bands is that the talented Eunice Jorge has more than her amazing vocals as part of her arsenal as she also plays the keyboard, the guitars and the violin and this definitely adds to a unique factor to the band's music. When the violin comes in you get goosebumps and you can feel tears forming in your eyes (well for me-that's what happens anyway-Listen to  Faraway if you don't feel anything you have a 'pusong bato'!) They use the violin for both mellow and upbeat songs. You would say they use the violins in a more mellow manner compared to Yellowcard (who is also one of their influences). 




Here are my favorite tracks from the album, Stop! Stop!, Play it again, Faraway, Pwede Ako. :) 

Relatable Lyrics and Themes
There are both English and Tagalog songs in the album. Anyone can easily relate to the lyrics of the songs since they talk about common themes like love, friendship and relationships. 

I'm sure everyone has always wanted to ask 'Crush...kamusta ka na?' and if 'Pwede Ako' won't catch on as an innocent line that can have a double meaning (ask my husband) then I don't know what will. 



Right after a gig. Gracenote is composed of Chen Pangan on Lead Guitars/Back up, Jazz Jorge on Bass, Eunice Jorge on Vocals, Keyboard, Violin, Guitars and Ej Pichay on Drums. 
Like I said earlier it is definitely worth your while and money to pick up Gracenote's album. This is Original Pinoy Music not some "singer" doing covers. 

So don't be a hermit when it comes to OPM. Get out of that cave! Educate yourself and immerse yourself in music we can proudly call our own! 

Definitely looking forward to more music from Gracenote. More power to you guys! 


All photos used in this blog post taken by Pcheng Photography. 

***
Just wanted to share with you a video post from the band's Youtube page. It is a simple video to thank fans for being part of Gracenote's First movement. 



2 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful. I’m looking at a trip around the world for a year and you have definitely inspired me. Your website has really helped me this past year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very nice comment ^_^ If you have any travel questions don't hesitate to ask :)

      Delete