Monday, May 20, 2013

Alice in Distress: EP Review



So finally here is the long overdue EP Review for Mad Hatter Day's EP Alice in Distress. When I first came across this band I saw their video for Finding Atlantis on Youtube and I played it - again and again and again. You can credit at least a thousand views to me. 

I was so impressed that they easily made it to my list of Buzz Worthy OPM bands. I knew I wanted a copy of their EP Alice in Distress but I wanted the classic CD copy - yeah call me old fashioned but I wanted the good old CD over the downloadable one. Speaking of the EP download you can actually download it here - for FREE until May 21, 2013. Go! Go! Go!!! 


The EP has 4 songs and each one is a jewel that really makes you proud of OPM and gives you that hope that their is more to Original Pinoy Music than good looks, simple melodies and shallow lyrics. 

Here are the songs on the EP: 

LABYRINTH
ALICE IN DISTRESS
BATTLEGROUND
FINDING ATLANTIS 

My favorite would easily be Finding Atlantis I can still listen to it on repeat but all the other 3 songs come in close. They are all unique and they are something that we can proudly classify as OPM. 



Should you get this EP? Yes! You should and with the announcement that the band will be fronting for this year's Bazooka Rocks, well you only know that they are headed to bigger and better things and they have what it takes.  

Their sound is fresh and unique, you can hear the hints and influences of metal. The guitar riffs use a lot of octaves which is reminiscent of good old glam rock. Paul and I were actually throwing thoughts and ideas about the EP while having dinner, I needed his input for the technicalities of music - in case you didn't know he plays the guitar and was in a band and all before he put up the axe to take up the camera and photography. 


The amazing Mewa Cawad who fronts the band can easily fool you with her sweet demeanor since she transforms into a rock goddess when performing live. Her low tones and range is reminiscent of a young Shirley Manson of Garbage. While when she performs live she reminds one of Lacey Strum of Flyleaf. 

I'm grateful that their lyrics has dark themes since I am just up to here when it comes to the usual love and heartbreak. I think we can all use a bit of dark lyrics and heavy music every once in a while right? And you definitely get your dose of that and more with Mad Hatter Day's EP Alice in Distress. 

The Damsel in Distress at the top of the tower 
Turns out she's a heartless monster
Somebody needs to save her
Save her from herself

-Alice in Distress 

Adrift at sea aimless and directionless
We're fighting the current, breathing the turbulence
The waves run riot as we seek Atlantis
They're crashing out on us 

-Finding Atlantis 

I had the pleasure and honor to meet them after their set during Paramore Night V and what can I say? They are really a nice bunch of guys with no prejudices with their fans. They happily signed EPs and had their photos taken with fans. 

I was really happy when I heard that they would be fronting for International Bands during Bazooka Rocks, I knew, always knew that these guys have no where to go but up. They have won a lot of fans during the Bazooka Rocks Launch party earlier and I know that they can only win more. 

They have a currently newly christened Fan Group- Mad Hatter Day PH which you can follow on twitter here

Of course don't forget to follow Mad Hatter Day on Twitter here and like their Facebook page here

We will also be giving away SIGNED copies of Alice in Distress - watch out for that post - in a few. 

Another thing I love about the band? Well they write their own music! From the dark lyrics penned by Mewa Cawad (the melodies are also credited to her) to the Music by the rest of the band, Cash Fuerte, Paco Santos, Andew Son and Pat Poblador. Aki Suda contributes to the music to Finding Atlantis. 

They write their own music! They don't have people writing for them which makes their music more genuine and really worth admiring and supporting. 

Make sure to get a copy of their EP - Alice in Distress, Mad Hatter Day is a force to be reckoned with and I'm glad that we have them in our local music scene.




About the Photoshoot: 
When thinking about the photoshoot for this EP review I initially wanted to do an Alice in Wonderland cosplay but the twist would be the 'In distress theme' I was thinking of a whole gothic - lolita approach but then that would really take time to prepare and the thought of shoving contact lenses in my eyes was enough to scrap that idea out. So we just decided to make use of stuff that we literally found around the house - Lola's tea set (don't tell her we used it :P) and some playing cards, everything was scattered around for the 'distress' theme and was shot on our kitchen countertop.

Shot with Canon 500d, Canon 430 exii and a wireless trigger, with a mixture of strobe and ambient light.  

No comments:

Post a Comment