Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Movie Musings: Now You See Me


We've been very busy with events these past few weeks, so this Movie Review is already a tad too late but you know what they 'better late than never' right? And I have already given my initial review of the movie through tweets, Facebook and Instagram posts. :) 

So here we go-last May 29, 2013 was the Movie Premiere of 'Now You See Me' blog post here. So in my initial posts I already mentioned that 'Now You See Me' was a combination of Ocean's 13, The Prestige and (a favorite movie of mine) The Italian Job, so why these three movies? 

Well Ocean's 13 for the all star cast - we have Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network) as the showman, as a Woody Harelson (The Hunger Games) as a mentalist, Isla Fisher as an escape artist and Dave Franco as a pickpocket; together they are the Four Horsemen, a group of magicians who as their final act rob a bank.  

The star studded cast is joined by Michael Caine as the Horsemen's benefactor and Morgan Freeman as a 'Breaking the Magician's code' guy and of course Mark Rufallo is the often clueless to a point of being hilarious FBI agent who is assigned to the case, he is joined by Melanie Laurent as an Interpol agent.  


'Now You See Me' is a fast movie - it is fast paced, you have to think fast or else you will be left behind. It is a movie that will really make you think- but in a fun kind of "thinking", not the type that will make your head hurt. 



While watching the movie I sat arms crossed, and eyebrows knitted together as the cogwheels in my head kept on turning and thinking, asking questions and keeping me alert and (very much) amused throughout the whole movie. 

Even well after the movie, Paul, my brother and I were still discussing about it and arguing on certain scenes and on specific points but it was a healthy kind of discussion mind you. 

There are secrets within secrets and plots within plots and you will definitely be surprised when everything is unraveled in the end. Although it was done in a less dramatic fashion than I would expect. I also got a bit dizzy with some of the rotating camera work and the ala - Blaire Witch project camera motion. 

Until now I still find myself thinking and recalling how everything worked out - definitely a movie I would watch again just so I could 'ohhh - so that's how it happened' and 'ahh yeah I get it' all the way through and be amazed with 'Now You See Me--- Now you -----". 

Now You See Me is distributed by Pioneer Films (Movie Punch). 

2 comments:

  1. Some of it I was able to believe in, but some others, I just couldn’t. It tried too hard, and lost me many times. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for posting. I do believe that magic in movies is hard to believe because you know that they can do it - sort of looses its allure. A reason why The Prestige was a success because it dealt with human emotions and conflict. And yes the '5th Horseman' was sort of a long shot - I mean really? :P But it was still a good movie :D Would love to watch it again :)

      Delete