Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Panic! At the Disco and All Time Low Night and some personal thoughts


Disclaimer, Paul was not with me during this event due to work, photos were taken with my father-in-law's Panosic Lumix point and shoot camera, so pardon the photos. :P Paul promises to make it up on the next event :) 

Regeneration 
Over the past year, Paul and I have been fortunate enough to go to and cover local gigs and bars and because of this we've been able to meet so many talented local acts and we've also been able to appreciate OPM even more. 

Recently, I've had the opportunity to be part of a young team composed of talented music lovers who organize events like album launches and bang nights -Sparks Productions - (like our Facebook page here) We had our first official band night last Nov. 22, 2013, at Autonomy bar. (Panic! At the Disco and All Time Low Night). This specific band night was in conjunction with the recent album launch that we had with Odyssey Music. (You can read about the Panic! At the Disco and All Time Low album launch here).  


The Pearl Report 

It really is different when you are (really) in charge of the event instead of just being 'outside looking in'. I will be honest and say that the turn out was not what I would have hoped it would be, but I really am a 'glass half full' kind of person so I will just put everything under 'learning experiences' and as Paul would say 'Tuloy ang boxing' (the boxing continues). 

Wearing my my 'thinking/reflection' hat I realized that one aspect of being part of of a production team was being able to provide a venue for young bands and budding musicians for them to grow in their passion and craft. After all successful bands are not made in a day (unless you are a one hit wonder)


Amazing prizes from our sponsors <3 Which were given during the fun games

Band nights and music events is not just for the music lover in the crowd to watch, enjoy and discover music and artists that they can appreciate and admire but it is also an opportunity for artists and bands to forget about their day job, or maybe even school (even, for a while) and be the rock star that they really are. 


I should know and am probably am speaking from personal experience since my newly formed band The Pearl Report had our first ever gig during that band night and just like what I told the audience I was really, really nervous. When I was up on stage singing, it was like I was telling my feet to move but it was as if they weighed a ton! We did manage to finish our set without much mishap, and to think we only practiced as a full band a couple of hours earlier, there were even two songs (half of our set) that we just practiced the same day as the event. 


The beautiful Andrea Paliza of The Pull-it-Surprise 


While I have been on all sides of the fence; as audience, guest, performer, host, organizer, blogger there is definitely one thing that an event cannot be without and that is of course the crowd cheering and enjoying. 

As mentioned earlier Paul and I have been to gigs, events, EP launches, album and video launches and it really is a great way to immerse yourself in great music and support the local industry as well. 

I think that foreign boy bands are overrated, I don't know if it's my age showing but music is always best live and you don't even have to go far or spend thousands because great local music is just around the corner waiting to be discovered.          


Click here for more photos of the event! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment