Thursday, April 10, 2014

Asia's Next Top Model Season 2: Finale

From 16 to only one. All Sixteen Candidates with Host and Judge Nadya Hutagalung 

Time does fly so fast - and here we are again - it's the Season Finale for Season 2 of Asia's Next Top Model! 

I did a blog post on the Season Finale of Season 1 of Asia's Next Top Model last February 17, 2013 you can check out the link here

I'm obviously a fan of the franchise especially because of it's Asian flare. Long gone are the days when fashion and glamour are confined and defined by race. 

Anyone who has the guts to dream, to pursue that dream and to fight for it deserves...well to be on top so to speak. Just like Season 1 winner Thailand model Jessica Amornkuldilok, who despite her not so young age (in Modeling industry)-27- during the time of the competition, still won the coveted title of Asia's Next Top Model.  

Season 1 was based in Singapore were model hopefuls went around the Lion City chasing their modeling dreams. Season 2 was based in Malaysia and this was a good change, since it offered new location shoots for the photo shoot challenges. 

Even after Season 1 - I've followed the careers of last years' finalists thanks to Instagram :3  

Season One Winner Jessica Amornkuldilok on the cover of a Thai Magazine.


Winner Jessica has been to London (as part of the winners' spoils) and has been to many fashion shows, runways and guestings. Second runner up - Kate Ma of Taiwan had a baby (and might I say he is just a too cute bouncing baby boy) after the competition. And of course, I don't need to look too far since First Runner Up - Stephanie Retuya of the Philippines is a constant on billboards and magazine covers here! :) 


I love this Gundam/Anime/Japanese themed Magazine Cover of  First Season Runner Up Stephanie Retuya
    
While I'm still admiring and gawking over the accomplishment of last season's finalists; Season 2 was well on it's way and I must say that I loved how the producers really made it a point to bring new things to the show. 

I loved how when each of the contestant spoke to the camera on their thoughts, their country's flag was right behind them as a strong reminder of the country that they were also representing in the competition.  

The producers also came up with having the best photo for each photo shoot printed on panels of boards which slid 'open' every elimination - that was just so cool!


The first episode of Season 2 started out with sixteen girls and it seems like they were too many and you can't really remember any of them but pretty soon I started to have my favorites and some girls started to stand out after a while. 

An early favorite of ours is Nicole Lee of Singapore who albeit her introvert personality (she's a neat freak who likes to clean the house and is not interested in make up)  delivered really strong photos. Unfortunately she ran out of her magic and was soon eliminated. 


Singapore's Nicole Lee 

Compared to the first season, the girls from the second season had more girl drama in the model house (Courtesy of Janice Hermijanto of Indonesia) which of course always makes for an interesting show. 

Right before she was eliminated Marie Nakagawa from Japan revealed that one of the reasons she joined the competition was to prove that she can make it in the Modeling Industry despite of her being of African-American descent (as well as Japanese), through tears she revealed how it was hard to pursue modeling in Japan just because of her color and features. I really admired her for having that drive in her during the competition. 


Marie Nakagawa of Japan

You would think that in this 'seemingly' modern world, there are still instances where in we let, race, color and features define whether or not you can be successful in an industry. I want to believe that we have gone beyond race, culture and definition and that we strive for the best no matter what shape or form. Which is why I believe that Asia's Next Top Models is breaking barriers and redefining and challenging what has long been accepted or tolerated. 

Aspiring models in the show have said that 'modeling' is a profession frowned upon in their culture and that joining the show was their way of 'proving' themselves to their families'. 

Asian models with mixed lineages experienced being bullied as children just because they looked different.I admire how they were able to step up and step out of being bullied and were strong and determined enough to prove their tormentors otherwise.                 




The Fantastic Four - Resident Judges and Mentors: From Left to Right: Mike Rosenthal,Joey Mead-King,  Nadya Hutagalung and Adam Williams

Aside from a new base of operations, two new mentors made up the Fantastic Four of Judges of the series. Former model now celebrity and fashion photographer to the stars Mike Rosenthal and Movement Coach Adam Williams joined Head Judge Nadya Hutagalung and Model Mentor Joey Mead-King. 

I felt a bit sad, since Paul and I have developed a certain admiration and have been following Season 1 photographer and resident judge Todd Anthony Tyler. He even made a trip to the Philippines recently, unfortunately we were not able to meet him due to prior commitments. Hopefully next time we do! :) 

I had to literally stay away from Social Media (yes-it's possible) since I would only be able to catch the finale during it's encore, Thursday in the afternoon, since I had work Wednesday evening. 

During last year's finale I did mention in my blog post that I didn't have any particular favorite to win, that I would have been  happy if any one of the finalists (Jessica, Stephanie or Kate) won. But for this particular finale - pardon me if I do have a favorite because I did and I was rooting for anyone from Team Philippines to win. (Yup - I was just a tad bit being patriotic :P)


More than just a pretty face: Katarina was first critized for being 'just pretty' but she soon grew and blossomed in the competition. 


I wanted Katarina to win because she was a girl who dared to dream. She had no modeling experience whatsoever prior to joining the competition, aside from that she is also shorter and fuller than most models. A fact which I like since it dares to defy the traditional concept of a model - tall and skinny. I loved the fact that she was an underdog and that she defied the odds stacked up against her.     


The Levitating Princess- Jodilly in a gown by Alex Perry gives jump shot some style and glamour in this winning photo. 


A part of me wanted Jodilly to win - because she did not let the hardships in her life stop her from chasing her modeling dreams. Jodilly's family was not that well off and she had to pay for her College education by modeling at the side and now a simple girl, not used to the luxuries of life is one of the finalists of one of the most prestigious modeling competitions in Asia. 

I love how despite her childlike demeanor (she always carries a stuffed animal with her wherever she goes) she is able to put her personality aside in order to follow the brief required in a shoot. Some models can't seem to leave themselves (personality or problems) in the dressing room before heading out to a shoot or a runway. 

I just have to give it to my home girls who during the start of the competition were just flying under the radar, not even coming up to bag best photos but when push came to shove - Boom! they brought their A game and are now in the finale. Definite underdogs but a force to be reckoned with nonetheless. 

Okay - I did like Sheena to some aspects - I liked her Blonde Ambition packaging and she did have some good photos but her too hungry to win attitude turned me off. She would come on set with this "I have to win best photo" attitude that for me go to her head so much that she got lost in the lines. 

Beauty in Blue: Sheena Liam of Malaysia grabs the title of Asia's Next Top Model


Although, I did admire how she carried her country Malaysia on her pretty shoulders. I admired how she wanted to do her country proud. Which I think was also very important especially after the wake of the crash of Malaysian Airlines MH370. 

An episode which was actually shot with Malaysian Airlines had to be cancelled to give respect to the families and loved ones of the airlines.       

As I am writing this I still don't know who has won the title - as a kid I would take a sneak peek at my Christmas gifts - this is sort of like that but I am using every ounce and inch of my will power to stop myself from doing a quick Google search on the winner; or even simply logging on to my social media accounts since I do follow accounts that would definitely be posting the winner. I'm just getting the blog post ready so I can just do a few more paragraphs of writing and probably some editing once I know who  the winner is :P 

Kids - this is known as delayed gratification, a point I want to make - finding out the winner through a Google Search or a Facebook status update would definitely take the thrill and anticipation away, just like that drum-roll before a first kiss. Thinking you can will who the winner can be. 

Nowadays we are used to instant gratification that we forget what waiting for something actually feels like and that it really is worth the wait - even if it's the finale of a TV series you've been watching :P 

So I just found out that Sheena Liam of Malaysia won! 2nd runner up was Katarina and Jodilly came in as first runner up. Congratulations to her! 

For this round current wins over classic and the confidence that she brings to every shoot and run way has helped her fulfill her dream. :)   

So again Congratulations not only to the winner but to the entire staff and crew of Asia's Next Top Model - it was a great season and I love that you are just going for bigger and better everything! 

Here's to giving that chance for any girl to chase their dream and for bringing the Asian beauty to the rest of the world! Keep it up! 

Looking forward to Season 3! :D Ha! I can finally log into my Social Media accounts now! :D 



  

  





No comments:

Post a Comment