Monday, October 27, 2014

O'Hara X Torre: An Art Exhibit



Sharla O'Hara with her Oil and Canvass 

Sharla O'Hara and I go way back. We were friends back in Gradeschool and during this time we were all into Anime and drew in the Japanese Anime style. I say "drew" because I no longer draw now and that's probably something that new acquaintances don't know about me. I guess you can say that the writer took over the budding artist, but I guess my mom shot that horse in the face a long time ago.

Although she did let me take art classes back when we could afford it, I guess I'm writing that now so you guys know that my love and appreciation for the arts has deep roots, it's in my family and in my blood and even if I didn't get to pursue it professionally or as a hobby, I took up another form of the arts (so to speak) which is writing- so now I get to write about Art :)

Sharla's Illusion Series. She worked with a 'Disco Ball' Board. 
By the way, Paul also has some art skills tucked away, like me it was the photographer who took over the artist. I guess it's all good coz as they say: "If you chase two rabbits you'll wind up with nothing for dinner"

It was only recently that Paul and I started to go to galleries and attend exhibits (as you've probably seen in the posts) and we want to make it more of a habit and hope to get to see more art - I guess we're lucky that we have friends and acquaintances who are talented young artists- which brings us back to Sharla - who I've not seen in years! I think the last time we saw each other was in the sixth grade and that seems like ages ago- now she...well she's a lot of things aside from her art she's also a model (wet weeeeew) :p


On the serious side get to know Sharla and her work here are some excerpts from the event page

Sharla O'Hara majored in Painting at the University of the Philippines College of Fine Arts in Diliman. She is a muralist by profession since 2008. 

She has been experimenting with materials used for faux and artistic finishes used in interior design projects or her paintings (among other things). She incorporates some notes of optical illusion or trom loie'l in her art.

Sharla describes her art as: "Glam, grotesque, organic and synthetic, illusion, compulsive and maybe a little dark sometimes..." 

Sharla has been tapped by Beauty Bar to paint on the walls of their new store which is opening in Centrall Mall in BGC - I'm really excited for this-so hopefully our schedule will allow us to drop by :) 
Kat Torre and her oil on Canvas

Sharla shares the on going art exhibit at Handuraw Pizza Sikatuna with Kat Torre who is in herself a jack of all trades when it comes to art. Kat is a scholar at the Philippine High School for the Arts in Mt. Mailing, Los Banos Laguna. She designs her own line of jewelry and watches which is manifested in Ensuenos. Like Sharla, Kat also majored in Painting at the College of Fone Arts in the University of The Philippines in Diliman.

Kat's impressive resume also includes designing and creating props, sets and costumes for stage productions like: "Magnificat", "Padre Pio", "Cory the Musical", "Manila, Vanilla" and "Halo Halloween"
Kat's Color on White Canvas

She is also included in the Top 3 Finalists of the 2013 Globe Art Competitiom: ImaginART. 

Kat is looking forward to getting back to painting and sculpting. Her works will be mainly paintings of women. 

Aside from the promising art from these young artists the vent was made extra special by (drum roll please) PIZZA and I have mentioned that I am a Pizza kinda girl so - SCORE! 

Handuraw Pizza Sikatuna (where the art is currently displayed) is a nice and cozy place which does not only offer yummy pizza at P300.00-P400.00 per order but it is also a great place for friends to get together to chill and relax (there's a roof deck which is a great place to hang out and have pizza and beer). You can also contemplate on the art on display, there's a hallway once you enter the door where the art is hung and there is more space upstairs for more art! The main floor has space for musicians to entertain as well so patrons can enjoy the music! 

Although sharing the exhibit, Sharla and Kat have distinct styles in their art, as you open the door you will see colorful images on white canvas from Kat Torre the series is followed by Sharla's "illusion art", words and photos really don't do the art any justice so I guess you guys will have to see it for yourselves ;) The exhibit will be up in the next two weeks! 


Mga Anak ng Antipolo 

I guess a take away from this night (aside from the amazing art) is that no matter where life takes you, different college, different careers, different lifestyles, you still come back to the same old friends or perhaps I should say you would be blessed to get to go back to your old friends.

Mga Anak ng Antipolo: From drawing Anime in Grade School to so much more years after. My friends in Grade School - Sharla O'Hara and Jessica Antonio-both budding artists btw :P  

As I stood there surrounded by old faces (even Paul ran into an old friend) I realized we were all sons and daughters of the mountain that we all know and love as our home- mga anak ng Antipolo. 

Looking forward to getting to blog, cover, shoot and feature young, talented artists, musicians (or whatever) not only from Antipolo but genuinely and proudly Pinoy on the blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment