Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Centerfold Photography & Videography Workshop


While I continue to look for other means of learning in the art of photography,  I taught myself to go out and meet other photo-enthusiasts and professional photographers alike and learn from them, like going to photo-walks and checking out other clubs.  

Early January 2015, my wife suggested I'd go to an event from the good people of Panasonic Philippines - CENTERFOLD. I wasn't eager to go to the event since I had a few projects that I had to do, but I still went since I've been missing out on the scene lately and I need to learn more.

It was my first time visiting Robinsons Magnolia, and it was a nice place to hang out with other enthusiasts as well.  I arrived around 9:40AM and saw a thick crowd gathered in front of the mall.  The event was hosted by Nigel Laxamana from DPP (Digital Photographer Philippines) and Alex Ruelo(Imagine Nation Photography and he was also one of our wedding photographers) and it started off with give aways from Innovee Trading Inc. and DPP.  


Nigel said something that struck me about hybrid shooting, that people that are into photography should consider video as well, and video enthusiasts should also should try shooting stills as well. I thought that he does have a point there. 


A few prizes were raffled which were goodies from Phottix, Vanguard and DPP.  Unfortunately I wasn't fortunate enough because I didn't win anything (I guess the luck in winning prizes belongs to the wife).

Ricky Ladia, an established commercial photographer, a master of working with strobes, and a Phottix ambassador and lots of other established photography related companies,  was the 1st speaker.  He introduces working with flash, the equipment needed, a little bit of how to control flash and what it can do to bring more out of an image with using available light only.  He literally shed light on the subject of lighting with strobes to the people that haven't tried out shooting with flash. He encourages people to go and shoot with off camera flash to add more depth and dimension to whatever vision or prospect image. You can check out his FB page here for more of his works. 


The 2nd speaker was Gunther Deichmann, a world renowned travel photographer.  Gunther talked about his shift to micro 4/3rds and he hasn't regretted his decision.  His point was that travelling light, helps him go places with less things to lug around and less luggage when flying from once country to another.  Another thing that he stated was he got clearer image compared to what he got from his old full-frame camera.  While Gunther discussed how happy he is with the current technology from his Micro 4/3rd camera he has shown a collection of his images that were indeed clear and brilliant. 
To check out more about Gunther Deichmann, you can visit his website to find out more about him and his works, here.  

As the clock ticked I barely noticed that the time was already after 1PM.  So a break was declared and a grabbed a bite and bumped in with a few people that I know from Antipolo that I shoot with at times. Going back to the workshop, it was time to shift over to the videography side.



The next speakers were the Jon, Bong and CJ of Threelogy Video, a well known established wedding video team that has been in the industry for a decade(WOW!).  They showed us what they've shot so far and had a Q&A portion with the attendants.  What they emphasized the most was practice is key especially in video work.  They've also shown their previous work versus the newer ones shot in 4K video.  I have to admit that I can really see the difference.  In my head while I drool, so that's what the 4K video is all about.  You can have all the high end equipment but you'll work will look bad against a well practiced videographer with an entry level equipment.  Makes sense if you ask me.


Right after the Jon, Bong and CJ, we were graced by a duo of aerial photographers from Clearskies PH(check them out here). They started with RC helicopters and a camera(coined as heli-cam. Now they have a huge drone and have under taken corporate projects and humanitarian projects as well.  It's quite amazing to watch videos from their demo-reel. It may not be a long sequence but you can really appreciate how these machines fly and show the enormity of the place they're filming.  It's always overwhelming to see the world from another perspective.  If you're looking into trying out aerial photography, better study and research, as there are laws, in flying drones and shooting videos with it. 


The event was almost drawing to an end and they finally called out Jay Tablante, a famous commercial photographer that took on cosplay photography to a different level. This time he tackled pin-up photography.  He discussed how he researched into the subject and viewed famous vintage pin-ups. He studied how they were illustrated and how unrealistic some of them seemed when it comes to how they're lit.  After discussion and Q&A, people were already raring to shoot, so they called out the model, and the pin up shoot began.  

I was surprised that I stayed as long as to almost finishing the event but I had to get some other place. In hindsight I didn't mind the time as it dwindled down, so it was a good 8 hour stay in Robinsons Magnolia. I'd usually be worried of the things that I have to do, when I'm in another place but it didn't bother me nor did I notice that it was past 6:00PM.  I called it quits since I had a few things in my head that I will be trying out, like shooting more videos, to never stop practicing and try out other stuff.  

Even if there was a lot of talk of micro 4/3rds or mirrorless camera technology, I can't help but think of purchasing a new camera.  I can't help but drool and stick with what I have now. I have no doubt that the latest technology maybe the next standard bearer in photography and videography.  I'll just have to stick with my big-bodied DSLR(it is big compared to mirrorless camera!) and keep shooting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment