Sunday, March 15, 2015

be/ep EP Review


When I was 19 years old, I was in Second Year College (Nursing), Paul and I had just become a couple. I was engrossed in what any ordinary 19 year old was during my day. School, Family, Boyfriend and friend, we were in the School Publication though so that too. There wasn't even Facebook during those days (Friendster became a thing when I was I my 3rd to 4th year of college.

So just imagine my admiration of B.P. Valenzuela who at 19 years old is taking the Indie scene by storm. Her name has been on the lips of industry giants and greats, she has been featured in a number of magazines and articles, fans gush at her during shows, she recently played for <S>andwich's vinyl album launch and she was also a part of the recent Malasimbo Music and Lights Festival in Puerto Galera. 

I already mentioned in our Satchmi Feels blog post we won a copy of her EP be/ep by guessing her favorite local fruit lansones so thanks to lansones we got to bring home a copy of her EP and thus this review!


B.P Valenzuela during Satchmi's Feels Valentines Event

When Paul and I first played B.P.'s EP we thought that her music had an ambient feel to it. Like a soft and subtle music in the background that's very relaxing to listen to.

Not your conventional radio songs that consist of traditional instruments, your typical singing, stanzas and a chorus. B.P. takes everything to a whole new different level with the use of synthesizers, sound effects and even recorded dialogue. Yet, despite the mix and match of these unlikely ingredients B.P.'s music comes out in unison and harmony and are surprisingly catchy and addictive that we found ourselves wanting more of her music.

As if her EP was a delicious appetizer making our mouths water for the main course (pardon the use of food as comparisson - really hungry as I am writing this :P)

Consisting of 5 tracks, the EP will give you a new sense of hope at the talent of our young musicians. There is also beautiful lyrics in the songs in building she says:

You said 
Time flies, love dies, people walk away 
Memories are ghosts of moments you can't
have again 
Let go of inhibitions keeping you from loving me 
but don't fall in love with me 
please don't fall in love with me 



It is indeed a good thing that our craving for B/P's music will be satisfied (more food similies) with the release of her album The Neon Hour this coming March 28 at the Twelth House in Cubao Expo.
You can click on the event page here for more details :)

The CD sleeves come with beautiful photos, I'm guessing the coffee is also because of B.P.'s love for coffee. She also works part time as a barista in Satchmi :) We used the cereal bowl photo (which is also ingeniously the design on the CD) for the concept around the shoot.

We'll definitely be hearing more from this talented musician! Check back on the blog soon - we'll be dropping by her album launch :) Excited to get my hands on The Neon Hour :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment