Monday, May 2, 2016

Music + Events: Satchmi's Vinyl Day Finds New Home in Katipunan


B.P. Valenzuela surrounded by fans who sang her songs in an intimate performance for Vinyl Day 2016. 

Wanting a more personal Vinyl Day experience for their music-loving clientele, Satchmi ingeniously created a physical layout which was both festive and intimate at the same time. With a circular stage, reminiscent of an actual Vinyl, fans were able to go up close to watch their favorite local acts perform. There was no high and mighty stage separating the musician from the audience. It was, as what live music should be; a live-in-the-moment experience which, even the most talented poets cannot put into words.

After their sets, fans were also able to go up to their favorite artists, to shake hands, give a hug and take a selfie with. A photo, which they would surely treasure from this colorful day.

The Reese Effect: Right after her set, fans of Reese gathered to have photos taken with the fast rising singer-song writer. 

Adding new features and highlights this year, there were food trucks, live art, and yes, even a barber shop. Satchmi brings a unique experience to their events by showcasing equally passionate young entrepreneurs. You won't see the regular fast food or brand of drinks at events hosted by Satchmi, as they partner with brands who share the same vision as they do, and that is bringing their love for the good old days. 


Shawarma Brothers bringing their unique flavor to Vinyl Day. 

Local artists at work on their live art. 


This year, I was fortunate enough to be able to not only go through the crates of records but actually pick one for myself to have and to own. Since I won a Motorino last year during Vinyl Day (thank you so much etc and Satchmi) I still pinch myself whenever I think how lucky I am to have my very own Motorino, which is proudly on display at home and is always a conversation piece when guests come over, it is covered in a black cloth to protect it from dust. The nephews and nieces have also had the "you can only look but not touch, without supervision" talk from me. 

In the span of a year, my humble collection is up to twelve records. I know that it's peanuts compared to the collection of others but the love of music is there and I have Satchmi to thank for that. It was their brand that got me to start collecting records and helped cement my ongoing music collection. Hopefully I find the time to talk about my CD Collection, that #CDsNotDead movement is still happening.


I was already a little late looking through the crates, as a lot of the good finds were already sold but I still saw a boxed Paramore self titled album but even with the discount it was over my budget (once the car is fully paid in a few months, we could be having a different conversation :p) so, that's still on my wish list but getting to hold it in my hands was just like Christmas morning.


I had budget for only one record (I know, that sucks but from zero records last year to one this year-that isn't so bad right?) some records that made it to my finalist (list) so to speak, were Metric, Lenka, Garbage, Kings of Leon, Smashing Pumpkins, Keane, John Mayer, among others but I ended up bringing home The Fray's 'Helios' record, which was at 40% off and I'm very happy! 

With my purchase secured, I was able to immerse myself in the amazing live performances, some from our favorite artists who we've already been following and others from artists I have yet to see perform live.

The line up of artists that performed represented a diverse genre of music. So much so that there was something for everyone, From being serenaded by Reese Lansangan to the moving beats of Tarsius and the impressive rhymes of Curtismith. I have only heard of Chocolate Grass on the Vinyl Day 2016 playlist which Satchmi prepared on Spotify. and they certainly brought the soul to Neo-Soul. Crowd favorite Jensen and the Flips brought their signature sexy swagger to the stage (the last time I was at Satchmi, their album Honeymoon was out of stock-I still have to get a copy!) I was impressed by the mash up of songs they performed, even giving a nod to E 17's 'Each Time' -I know I'm old. 

Color and Light: Tarsius  dropping the beat at Vinyl Day. 

I have yet to finish my album review on Moonwlk's second album 'Of the Bed' and I hope to get around to doing that really soon. Seeing them on Vinyl Day just reminded me why they are one of our favorites. The dynamic duo surprised the audience by having a full band, which just brought more love and energy to their set. I love musicians who continue working to give their listeners a different experience with each performance. 

Taken By Cars performed a new song during their set bringing their much missed electro indie rock sound to a new generation of fans. Electro genius B.P. Valenzuela felt the love of the audience who sang her lyrics back to her while she performed. The petite Satchmi homegirl has been a staple during Vinyl Day but it seems that the crowd just can't get over her, year after year. 

Bringing a spotlight to the good old days, Ciudad brought their infectious songs to an eager crowd. It's always a pleasure to hear my personal favorite "My Emptiness"  live. 

I was really blown away when I saw The Ransom Collective perform live, I mean talk about musicality at such a young age. The six piece Indie folk band, had everyone singing to their songs. It was way past 12:00 AM but not even the early hours of the morning could keep the people from enjoying the music.

Dynamic Duo. Moonwlk's Nicholas Lazaro and Gabbi Buencamino.
Of course, freebies and prizes were not in short supply. As Satchmi generously gifted their guests with goodies throughout the night. The most coveted prize however was a Motorino and a  lucky winner was announced, not without threats of inflicting bodily harm in exchange for a Motorino though. My friend, you have been gifted with a piece of the past and the potential of wonderful moments, listening to the unique sound that only Vinyl can give.


There has been nothing but growth for this team of curators who in the past years have successfully brought their 'love for the good old days' to a nostalgic generation.

On it's fourth year, Satchmi has elevated "Vinyl Day" their 'annual celebration of vinyl and music' to greater heights, with a new home at UP Town Center in Katipunan, hosts Candy and Pauline of Jam 88.3 revealed that Satchmi's new store will open here as well.

With the after math of yet another successful Vinyl Day,  a new store in progress, an expansion of their SM Megamall store, (which will also be serving food -yehey!) and an overflowing love and support from an ever growing fan base, who have taken their love for the past to heart-Satchmi has a lot to celebrate and with all the hard work that they have put in creating their brand and following; I say that they deserve a big pat in the back.

I have said it before and I will say it again, with brand's like Satchmi being a rich playing ground for local music, we can rest well knowing that the future of OPM has a home in their cozy space and in the hearts of all of us who believe in what they represent - a love for music and of the past.


Click HERE for MORE Photos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment