Thursday, October 17, 2013

Product Review: 24" Photo Speedlite Softbox w/ 7' Tripod Stand

 24" Photo Speedlite Softbox w/ 7' Tripod Stand 
(image from YESCOMUSA)
We were fortunate enough to receive an email from YESCOMUSA which is an online store that sells photography products and many more. They were kind enough to send us a product for us to review.

Which brings us to this product review for: 24" Photo Speedlite Softbox w/ 7' Tripod Stand

First of all, softbox is one of the tools that photographers use to modify light from flashes.  It diffuses the light from the flash, instead of getting a hard strong light from the flash, it casts a soft wrapping light on your subject.

As for the test shots that I did, I had my nephew sit on a stool and positioned the softbox, about 3-5 ft away from him.  Raised the softbox up at around 6ft. 

As for technical settings on the flash and on the camera please refer to the details below: 



Flash output: 1/4- 1/8.
Camera settings: 1/200 SS, 200 ISO, 3.2/F
at 50mm

Camera: Canon 500d with 50mm 1.8/F II.

Speedlite: Canon 430 EX II

I have to apologize for not providing exact settings applied on the shots, due to the fact I didn't write down notes while shooting.  As for the EXIF data, I'll have to retrieve it at home, as I've written this blog post at work(I'll just update this later).  

Getting on to the product review, I find 24" Photo Speedlite Softbox w/ 7' Tripod Stand, useful for indoor portrait.  For the test shoot, I find it very efficient and it served its' purpose. It gave a nice even soft light.  Although, I only used it as one light setup source as the main light source, I'll probably get another post up, for multiple light setup and outdoor shoot(hopefully in the near future).  

Below are what I got from the package: 
1 x 24" X 24" Speedlite Softbox
1 x Mounting Bracket
1 x Carrying Bag for Soft Box
1 x Carrying Case for soft box and mounting bracket
1x Durable 7ft Tripod Stand

The softbox is made of durable nylon material, and is 24" X 24", is collapsible, so that you can set it up then put it away when your done.   It has 2 diffusers (internal and external), has 4 reflective surfaces and it holds up it's shape after a few times of setting it up and folding it.  It has a mounting bracket, for any generic or brand specific speedlite or compact flashes.  And finally it comes with a light weight stand that extends up to 7ft.  

To me I find  24" Photo Speedlite Softbox w/ 7' Tripod Stand very useful for situations where in you'll be required to use flash that provides soft light and you don't have anyone to hold the flash for you.  

Added bonus for this package is that it comes with a carrying case for location shoots.  

It took me less than 5 minutes to setup the softbox and relatively the same time to put it away.  I find the softbox as a very valuable and essential tool for studio shooting and location shoots.   

You can check out there website for more amazing products: http://www.yescomusa.com/

    No comments:

    Post a Comment