Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Movie Review: Red Sparrow


When I first saw the trailers to "Red Sparrow" I couldn't help but feel that the film had too much "Black Widow" feels in it. Russian agents going through merciless and brutal training, being taught to use their minds and bodies to seduce and manipulate is nothing new and Jennifer Lawrence speaking in a fake Russian accent didn't really get me excited either. 

However, as I was sitting in the theater, I was quickly drawn in the thrilling game of cat and mouse, where good old espionage, double agents and double crosses will keep you thinking and guessing and at the edge of your seat. 

There are no fancy cars or fancy gadgets to get you out of difficult situations, its all quick thinking and using the resources that you have at your disposal. 

One of the things I enjoyed about the movie is that it takes you closer to the dark psychology which goes into being the ultimate secret weapon. I would have loved to have seen more chemistry between Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton (who plays 'the handsome' CIA agent in the film). I was a little confused with some of the props used in the film though-it was hard to establish the timeline of the movie because of the diskettes in one part of the film and what looked like a smart phone in the other. 

No doubt JLaw gave another strong performance of both strength and vulnerability in such a damned character I was just really bothered with the accent and that she would break away from it in some dramatic scenes. I know, I know I'm just being a big nitpicker here 

6.5/10 - you may get lost in the heavy plot or forget the Russian names you are supposed to remember but if you can keep up with the game, then you will enjoy it for sure. Especially if you are a fan of Jennifer Lawrence. 

Director Francis Lawrence (Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Mockingjay Part I and Mockingjay Part II) reunites with his muse Jennifer Lawrence for a brutal game of deception and manipulation. Dominika Egorova is no James Bond, she is trapped in a dangerous espionage game but she will do what she must in order to survive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment