Saturday, August 25, 2018

Album Review: JCON Mixtape


R&B has never really been considered mainstream in the local music scene but Filipino-Irish singer/songwriter Jess Connelly is changing that and redefining the genre with her impressive 13 track album "JCON Mixtape". Her sophomore effort after an EP release in 2015 entitled "How I Love". 

Connelly has been building up to this release, dropping tracks like “Turn Me Down,” “deep + involved,” “Mine,” and “On My Way Up”before leading up to "Call Me" which she released last week. This is my favorite from the album, from the moment I first heard it. I was in love and listened to it on loop. 

She sings: 

“Call me when you’re lonely / I need someone to hold me 
 Call me when you’re lonely / I could make you want me” 

-and you know that she means it, in a subtle confidence where she knows she's going to get that call. Now, I'm pretty much your punk-rock chick but there's just something about Connelly's sensual vocal tone that draws me to her and besides, good music is good music no matter the genre. 


JCON opens with "Awake" which quickly sets the tone and mood for the entire album with the smooth beats and perfectly timed keys, making you just want to kick back in your most comfortable ensemble. 

"Turn Me Down" follows, I remember when the MV of this was released my admiration for Connelly was cemented. She was an artist to watch out for sure. Giving any pretty teen pop act with their godforsaken covers a run for their money. 

You know she is the real deal

Check out her video for "Turn Me Down" which feature a unique look and aesthetic that Connelly owns and in translates for the perfect audiovisual experience. 



Throughout the album, Connelly works with local producers such as Eyedress, Similarobjects and CRWN her tracks also feature collaborations with artists such as Awhich and P.Lo, further strengthening the growing hold of RnB in the local scene. 

In "deep + involved" she paints a picture of a love that wasn't supposed to happen but she now finds herself too "deep and involved" she says: 

Never planned to get personal
Never meant to stay now I wanna put you first and all
Now you taking up my day, never knew I'd be the first to fall
Don't know what to say cos you the only one that I wait for

"Process" (feat. Awhich) is a fun danceable track with a touch of Janet Jackson here and there and we also get to see her rap skills, where she drops rhyme and beat effortlessly. You know that she's in her element, she's not even trying, its all natural for her.  

Prior to the release of JCON, Connelly also opened for Chance the Rapper and hosted an intimate listening party for JCON. (Would have loved to have been there). I have yet to see her perform live and its definitely on my list of things to do and I know that there will definitely be more opportunities for that, you get the sense that Connelly is serious about her craft and that she is only beginning. (5/5). 

JCON Mixtape is now available on all streaming platforms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment